feeding my rosea soon..

m0nay

Arachnopeon
how often shud i feed my rosea?? i dont want my rosea to be leggy, i want her to be fat. how often? pls help. :D

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Feed it enough that its abdomen looks right. If you look at enough pictures, you should get the idea. You don't want to get her too fat, or she will be at risk for rupturing her abdomen which equals a dead tarantula.

m0nay

Arachnopeon
once or twice a week?? is it not power feeding? i want my rosea to live longer. hmmmm... by the way, my rosea is a sling, mybe .75'' ... :D pls tell me d right frequency in feeding it. :D

m0nay

Arachnopeon
allright! more comments pls on the frequency of feeding PLEASE! :DDD :worship:

Hatr3d

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There's no standard frequency or stuff like that, just look at the size of the opisthosoma and find the right amount for that certain animal. If it's a small sling you can overfeed him a lil' bit.

m0nay

Arachnopeon
how can i know if my rosea needs to be fed already?? how small can the opisthosoma be?? :D

energizer2010

Arachnopeon
the best way to know if your rosea needs to eat or not is to put a cricket in the enclosure and if it's hungry it will eat the cricket if not then it wont

m0nay

Arachnopeon
ooohhh.. okay! but does it have a proper diet regardless wether it is hungry or not?

Rob1985

This user has no status.
once or twice a week?? is it not power feeding? i want my rosea to live longer. hmmmm... by the way, my rosea is a sling, mybe .75'' ... :D pls tell me d right frequency in feeding it. :D
feeding your T 2-3 prey twice a week might be considered power feeding. I give 1-2 crickets or dubias once a week for my slings.

I wouldn't worry about your T not living long... if it's a female G.rosea, it'll live a long while. Plus, they grow slow as molasses. You'll be fine

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

ooohhh.. okay! but does it have a proper diet regardless wether it is hungry or not?
the G.rosea (among other T's) are known for going long periods of time without food. Being low on the food chain T's have adapted to it. Some have a harsher climates that others and q more scarce food source. Their instinct is to eat whenever prey is presented.

Just always offer a water dish to adults, keep the substrate dry (for G.rosea). For slings, mist once a week (twice if pre-molt, thats me personally) and offer prey appropriate for it's size.

You won't have to worry about a G.rosea or any Grammostola eating, most are pretty hardy.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Feed it enough that its abdomen looks right. If you look at enough pictures, you should get the idea. You don't want to get her too fat, or she will be at risk for rupturing her abdomen which equals a dead tarantula.
my rosea is rather fat. not from my feeding now, but i used to buy crickets a few dozen at a time [hardware store was the only place available ] and now she's pretty fat. if i feed her only once per week, will she eventually lose weight?
ps she's about 5+"

oh, when i did get the cricket in big groups, i didn't feed them to her all at once, but i did feed way more often than i should've

elm199

Arachnopeon
if i feed her only once per week, will she eventually lose weight?
ps she's about 5+"
If you want to handle her a lot, I wouldn't cut the food too much. I've had a rosea for about 5 years, and every winter she refuses to eat for months on end and gets CRANKY.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you want to handle her a lot, I wouldn't cut the food too much. I've had a rosea for about 5 years, and every winter she refuses to eat for months on end and gets CRANKY.
haha well no, i don't handle much, exept once a year when i do reptile displays at my churche's fall festival

m0nay

Arachnopeon
feeding your T 2-3 prey twice a week might be considered power feeding. I give 1-2 crickets or dubias once a week for my slings.

I wouldn't worry about your T not living long... if it's a female G.rosea, it'll live a long while. Plus, they grow slow as molasses. You'll be fine

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

the G.rosea (among other T's) are known for going long periods of time without food. Being low on the food chain T's have adapted to it. Some have a harsher climates that others and q more scarce food source. Their instinct is to eat whenever prey is presented.

Just always offer a water dish to adults, keep the substrate dry (for G.rosea). For slings, mist once a week (twice if pre-molt, thats me personally) and offer prey appropriate for it's size.

You won't have to worry about a G.rosea or any Grammostola eating, most are pretty hardy.

thank you very much! okay! ill be feeding it once a week. ill be giving 1-2 prey. :D thats it! thank you for your help!
hope i may be able to post some pics when my rosea is here already. :)

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Power feeding is really bad. It shortens the lifespan of the tarantula by several years. If you want to get the longest life possible out of your rosea, feed it ONE cricket every week, or 2-3 crickets every two weeks. Assuming the crickets are averaged sized. Rosea's have a tendency to over eat if you allow them. A fat tarantula is NOT a healthy tarantula.