Feeding my arboreal...how?

lleana

Arachnopeon
I have always been around T's, my Aunt had them since I was born, and when I was 5 she gave me her collection. They died in house fire when I was 7. When I was 16 I got my own place, and gave in to the addiction, and ended up with 3 beauties. When I was 26 I moved to a new country and left them with my sister.

I remember having an Avic Avic when I was 5, and I can't for the life of me think how she differed from the others when it came to feeding time, But I recently fell in love and couldn't resist bringing home a beautiful Pink Toe.

My two others are B.Vagan and a Pokie, I drop a cricket in every other day, also treat them with locusts, they are both thriving (even thinking of lowering the amount of food on my Vagan, she is so big around her abdomen), no problems at all, food is gone within the hour. But my little Avic, well, she sits right at the top of the terranium, doesn't budge for anything, and I have to get the crickets out after a few days, she ate fine when I first got her home, she moved around the tank alot more, and was able to find her food, she of course stopped feeding for awhile (longer than I anticipated for a younger T) then molted, after about about 3 and a half weeks of not eating. I gave her a week to settle then tried to feed her, and have had this problem ever since. She hasn't eaten for about 6 weeks now, and although I know she can survive just fine for awhile longer, I want her to be happy and healthy, not just surviving.

Her terranium is tall and narrow, not too big for her size, there is a lovely and soft fake plant in there for her to climb, which she doesn't bother with, correct substrate on the ground, temp and humidity are within the correct range, everything should be fine, but she sits high up in the tank, and the food sits at the bottom, I'm not sure if she just doesn't sense it is there, or if there is another problem going on.

Should I take her to a vet, take the plant out, limit her height for now? How do your climbers feed?

I do not know her age, though she is pretty young, I would say 8 months to a year judging by her size.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give as much info as possible! :)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Try crippling the prey item and using tweezers to place it near her, up high on a branch or leaf. Once she's made a tube you can set it right on her web. I've had several Avics who acclimated to tong feeding at a fairly young age so when possible I like to feed them that way.

The other alternative is to use prey items that tend to climb such as lobster roaches. Personally I find climbing feeders to be more of a hassle that they are worth but i'm sure others would disagree.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A vet can't do anything for (nor will they know anything about) invertebrates, so I wouldn't even consider that.

Feed something that can either climb smooth surfaces, or try tong-feeding.

If your avic creates a little web-tunnel and incorporates it into the fake plant, that's a good thing too. This will allow the feeders to climb the plant and (hopefully) get her attention that way.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:

Ethan beat me to it. ;P

lleana

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys :) problem is, she only ever made a web to molt in and has destroyed it now, she isn't taking any notice of the plant, but sitting in the top corner of her tank. Tomorrow morning, nice and early when the mozzies get me up, I'll try tong feeding, if the one that I dropped in again just now is still there.

About the vet, I wasn't thinking the same one I take my kitties to, but the guy I get all my T's from here (surprisingly the only exotic pet store I found in the whole of Amsterdam...is way out where no tourists ever go :p) he has his own contact and is available to his customers also, so a vet with T experience is no problem, I just didn't know if it was time to take her there, or just leave the poor lil mite another week or two.

Thanks again for the fast replies, it's great to know there are others out there who love these babies as much as I do :D (my hubby just goes white when I ask him to get close with the lid open)

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lleana - they tell you not to bother with a vet at all because there really isn't anything they can do.

Unless she has a visible injury, anything they tell you is a guess, and nothing more.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe you need to look at the design of your cage. There need to be items upon which not only the T can climb, but the prey items as well. Think silk plants, cork bark, even real plants.

Also, how big is the cage relative to the spider? All tarantula spiderlings, Avics in particular do much better in a small vial than a larger enclosure. Until they're about 1.5"-2" I keep my Avic slings in a small vial where it's pretty much impossible for them not to notice prey.

Perhaps if you could post a picture of the enclosure (with the spider in it) we could offer some better suggestions.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Try tong feeding--it's good to have tongs anyway.
If you can get B.lateralis--they are good at climbing cork bark and the like, but not rubber, glass, or plastic.

ametan

Arachnoknight
I'm not entirely clear on whether the T has eaten or not since her last molt? How big (in inches if possible) is she? Did you sex the tarantula yourself? If she has eaten, she could just be ready to molt again or simply not hungry. If she has not eaten for weeks since, you may want to try dropping it.

I have one 2.5"-3" Avic and 5 Avics of 1.75" or less. I tried tong feeding them for a while and it didn't seem to be working. One evening, I had a particularly wiggly cricket in the tongs that freed itself while the tongs were just above the T. Faster than I could see, the T grabbed the cricket out of thin air and proceeded to eat away while doing the "happy dance."

It worked so well I tried it on my other Avics. I place the cricket in tongs right above the Avic's position and slightly to the side. I don't move for a minute or so and then release pressure on the tongs. The slings especially will catapult themselves at their prey.

Maybe this isn't acceptable to others, but it's worked for me with no problems and no more hiding crickets. :)

farrisbaharom

Arachnopeon
i just let 'em grab the pinheads off my tongs - get in real close like you're about to spoon it to them. i would get something smaller though.

because IIRC the first feedings were a bit difficult for me. they only bit after i tried with smaller pinheads - about 1/2 the size of the sling at the most.

i hope this helps - have 4 of the lil tykes myself. 2 at about 2" and another pair at just under 1". it's worked on all of them so far.

cheers

Fierce Deїty

Arachnopeon
Try crippling the prey item and using tweezers to place it near her, up high on a branch or leaf. Once she's made a tube you can set it right on her web. I've had several Avics who acclimated to tong feeding at a fairly young age so when possible I like to feed them that way.
That's exactly how I feed my avics! My bro taught them how to do it. It's exciting that they will take basically from an extension of your hand.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

The other alternative is to use prey items that tend to climb such as lobster roaches. Personally I find climbing feeders to be more of a hassle that they are worth but i'm sure others would disagree.
I agree, most of my T's are tong fed, I then know they ate!

CJ Moak

Arachnopeon
I’m really really green to this, I don’t even have my tarantula yet. But this is some great info!

SeniorSpidieLovr

Arachnopeon
My recently acquired adult female took dubia from tongs last. Ran away from mealworm in tongs. It dropped in Substrate. I captured what looked like hunting the Meal worm lower enclosure. Fingers crossed 🤞

Attachments