Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Feeding Mouse Parts to a Fangless Tarantula

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Vanessa, Sep 6, 2019.

1. MattjediEdmonds

MattjediEdmonds Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I had a T once that broke her fangs off. I just fed her small (smaller than I would normally feed her) crickets and flies that she could just catch with her legs/palps. After 2 molts, she got her full fangs back. (the fangs were broken off on screen which was replaced)
    The fangs and venom are just for subduing the prey. A small fly can just be squished by the palps and/or legs and sucked up.
    I would recommend not picking her up anymore. Cover her tank with a dark fabric (shirt) and let her alone. Uncover her to put small bugs in, but that's it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

Did you bother to read the previous page at all?

• Like Like x 3
  3. MattjediEdmonds

No. I just thought I'd pass along my experience. SO SORRY for trying to help. I won't do it again.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  4. ThatsUnpossible

ThatsUnpossible Arachnosquire Active Member

UK
    What’s funny to some might be helpful to someone else. Someone with less experience than Vanessa might not have thought of trying to feed much smaller prey than usual. It’s not just OP’s that benefit from threads like this.

5. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

I think the problem is more along the lines of... if I follow his advice, based upon what has taken place so far, she is most certainly going to die. That is why it was relevant to read the situation before giving advice... it is always relevant to read the progression of events before giving advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. MattjediEdmonds

After going back and reading what you thought was so important... my advice still stands and I think your comment makes you look bad. Why would her tarantula eating make it die? I've never understood why people think giving a spider smaller food means it goes hungry??? You just give it more meals! Duh.
    I actually went through what she did and my spider lived to old age and mated before passing away. I think that makes my comment valuable.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Vanessa

You know, being a smart ass isn't the same as being smart, right? Nothing in my comment makes me look bad and your smart assed reply of 'Duh' speaks FAR more to your lack of intelligence than mine.
    Let me break down what has already been discussed for you. I have tried different sized meals. I have tried live, cut open, prey items. I have tried making a soup out of prey. I have tried mammal guts. I have even tried already partially juiced up prey stolen from other spiders. I have made it VERY clear that she is trying to masticate what I give to her and is unable to. I mention that I am well aware of digestive juices and their role in breaking down prey. I even mention that her enclosure has little flies in it, likely fungus gnats, and she isn't eating those either. The only thing I was reluctant to do was try to pinch grab her due to her small size. As a last resort, I did that last night and it seems to have been somewhat successful.
    Over the years, 20 of them to be exact, I have encountered a number of people who have had tarantulas lose their fangs. In every single case, bug soup was given manually to them until they were able to moult and the issue resolved itself. Again, I was reluctant to pinch grab her due to her size and that is why I left it as a last resort. That is what I will be continuing to do every few days going forward.
    So yes, at this point, if I just throw a couple of small prey items in her enclosure and cover her up as you suggest then she is most certainly going to die. If she isn't able to break down any of the other prey items that I have tried so far, she isn't going to be any more successful doing it with a live prey item. And, while your suggestion might seem like something that someone else reading this might try, it is not in the least bit relevant to my situation.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. AgentD006las

AgentD006las Arach-how about..NO Active Member

This is an option for you to consider as it seems you have run out of ideas and constructive input. I remember a guy on youtube who once fed a legless huntsman with sugar water. It had fangs.. When he fed the spider it seemed to plump his abdomen up. I would think it would need less digestive juices if any to assimilate those nutrients.. How is this T doing?

9. Vanessa

Sugar water, while beneficial to nectar and fruit eaters, holds no benefit to insectivores. Yes, feeding them any water will cause an abdomen shriveled by dehydration to plump up again, but water alone is not providing the nutrients that they would normally get from the insects that they eat.
    I have manually fed her a handful of times. The first time, pinch grabbing her was a bit of a challenge, but it was fairly easy to contain her. Subsequent attempts have been a totally different story. She has become very feisty and restraining her is becoming more difficult each time.
    However, she does drink the bug soup that I administer. And, looking at the photos that I take, it does seem like her abdomen is increasing in size somewhat. I am currently at work, with no access to those photos, but I will post them tonight when I get home.

10. AgentD006las

AgentD006las Arach-how about..NO Active Member

I wonder what spiders run off of if not some form of amino acids, sugar and fat? Either way I would think bugs have a fair amount of carbon content. Or my advice is dumb.. I don't want your spider to die if it doesn't have to..I had lost one for this same reason. The bug soup could work, although I failed to save my female ornata with soup. On the positive side you cant get bit from pinch grabbing it. Best of luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.