feeding mommies

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Guys,

A quick question. My A. avic has a sac she dropped last Oct 23. I noticed her tummy really shrunk to less than half of what it was prior to the eggs being laid. My question is do I have to feed her if I intend to let her keep the sac for 33 days? Or do I just let her be?

I am worried that any disturbance would cause my breeding project more harm than good.

thanks in advance, guys!

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't think you'd have to feed her, that should be normal... :?:?:?

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't feed any of my mother spiders once they have laid a sac. I will introduce water when possible, either through misting into large holes or by syringe into their water bowls in a container with small holes. I try not to move or disturb mothers with egg sacs. They are left in a quiet, special area of my home. Good luck with your sac! Diane

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dont stress her with food. Let the sac hatch with her and take the slings out when they are 2:nd instars and ready to eat.

Thats what i did and had not a single death with all the slings i got from the sac

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you guys! Really Big help.

@ Falk - did you also breed avics? How many days before you opened the sac?

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Dont stress her with food. Let the sac hatch with her and take the slings out when they are 2:nd instars and ready to eat.

Thats what i did and had not a single death with all the slings i got from the sac
Looks like he didn't open the sac Bosing - - he just let them hatch naturally with momma.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ive opened anywhere from 30-35 days, with mixed results....most were in eggs wit legs stage.....the egg sacs ive had were from avics.Temps for the first sac were mid seventies(pulled at day 35)....temps for the 2nd sac were 80ish(pulled at day 30).

Never fed the moms well they were holding.....just made sure they always had water

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ive fed some moms with eggs sacs with no problems. avics and psalmos. the mother dont *always* have the sac, and would feed then resume sac care. this isnt however necessary, i use lateralis roaches btw.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thanks again guys! I also covered her enclosure with black clothing so i don't really see if and when she leaves her sac to find prey. Is this ok? I figured she would get distracted without the cloth.