Feeding mealworms

bothrops asper

Arachnopeon
so i have a sling g. Pulchripes, maybe an inch. I've been feeding crickets, but i hate the buggers, and i worry abput being able to get them out if she doesn't eat because of premolt or whatever. I'd rather not prekill, because her feeding response is good, and let the hunter hubt or whatever. If i give mealworms, am i gonna have to wlrry about them burying themselves? Is there a better option that isn't roaches?

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
If she has a great feeding reponse,just drop the worm close to her/him.It will grab it in no time.If you don't crush the head it will burrow,so just watch.
If your T is hungry ,it should take the worm immediately.I

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
so i have a sling g. Pulchripes, maybe an inch. I've been feeding crickets, but i hate the buggers, and i worry abput being able to get them out if she doesn't eat because of premolt or whatever. I'd rather not prekill, because her feeding response is good, and let the hunter hubt or whatever. If i give mealworms, am i gonna have to wlrry about them burying themselves? Is there a better option that isn't roaches?
You can either crush the head, or just watch and remove the mealworm if the T isn't interested.

Generally, a mealworms response is to bury itself, so be sure to watch it when it is in the enclosure. I wouldn't take my eyes off the mealworm, unless the T has it in its fangs.

Crushing the head will still allow the mealworm to move around, and should initiate a predatory response from your T, assuming it is hungry. This would also prevent the mealworm from digging down.

The major feeding options are crickets, mealworms, and a few different species of roaches. All of the them have different pros and cons.

I've use crickets, mealworms, dubia, and red runner.

Roaches are often preferred for a number of reasons, but aren't as available/common for some people to find locally. Unless of course you breed them.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Definitely crush the head slightly on any worm, it’s not worth the risk of loosing one.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
and i worry abput being able to get them out if she doesn't eat because of premolt or whatever.
Slightly crush the head of any feeder you drop in. That's the whole point of crushing the head, so you CAN get them out if she doesn't eat them.
I crush the heads of almost all feeders for my T's , slings and adults. Try slightly crushing a cricket or roaches head , drop it in and watch as they continue to move and walk around the enclosure.

bothrops asper

Arachnopeon
So i had a horrible time trying to kill a mealworm. Time will tell if she eats it. She's slowly digging herself out of her burrow now.

Well it's about a week and a half since last feed, it's sitting at the top of its closed off burrow, and seems like it's waiting for food, it's refused to eat a mealworm again. The second one she seemed to investigate as it appeared to have been moved, and it was dead the last time i checked before removing it before i left for work the next day. So she's either in premolt, not hungry, doesn't like mealworms, or just being difficult.

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
Slings will eat prekilled items. Can you post pics of ur T and pics of ur enclosure? It will help us understand better

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
No clue. Had her for 2 weeks. Kinda assumed she might be although she doesn't seem "shiny".
Actually after re-looking at your pics and this thread, I can tell you when I housed any of my slings in "bigger" enclosures, their growth rate plummeted, they burrowed and hardly ever ate anything. Not sure the size of your enclosure but it does seem to be on the bigger side for a 1" sling.

bothrops asper

Arachnopeon
She ate crickets no problem, then didn't want to touch the mealworms. Gonna pick up crickets again and try the little bastards. Maybe the mealworm dying didn't peak her interest, and it did look like she tossed the last one around. (It was in a different position and dirty when i pulled it out).

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
She ate crickets no problem, then didn't want to touch the mealworms. Gonna pick up crickets again and try the little bastards. Maybe the mealworm dying didn't peak her interest, and it did look like she tossed the last one around. (It was in a different position and dirty when i pulled it out).
At least if it is coming up to check the feeder out I don't think you have anything to worry about. And when it is hungry, it will eat anything you put in there in my opinion, it just has to be hungry enough. Just keep an eye on the abdomen. If you notice it to start appearing smaller than the carapace and still not eating, I would report back to this thread and ask for help.

bothrops asper

Arachnopeon
She sat at the top of her burrow without unburying it after i fed her yesterday. So I'm going to try crickets again to see if the movement triggers a response.

Georges Simp Pierre

Arachnopeon
You could try chopping the mealworm in half and give the head portion to the T. It would still wriggle around and trigger a feeding response but would be too damaged to burrow or hurt the spider/

bothrops asper

Arachnopeon
Well crickets didn't work either. She has sealed the window to her burrow now. Her abdomen didn't look small or anything yesterday. But it's been 3 weeks. Could premolt take this long for slings?

Georges Simp Pierre

Arachnopeon
It is certainly possible, I'm not familiar with the species you have but if it has sealed it's burrow I would refrain from digging it up as it is likely going to moult soon.

bothrops asper

Arachnopeon
I have no desire to bother it, i just want it to be healthy. I'm offering food intermittently and mostly leaving it alone