Feeding mealworm bug / tenebiro molitor bug for scorpion

Medi

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!

I have an Asian Forest Scorpion, his name is Trevor.
I'm having him more then a year now as someone dumped him. I'm trying my best to keep him happy and healthy (it's going very well I guess).
Lately I'm feeding him with mealworms, but 2 of them drilled into the soil as he didn't eat them and couldn't catch them. Today I found the beetle form of the mealworm (tenebiro molitor) in the cage, it's turned a beetle obviously.
My questions are the next:
Are these beetles harmful for scorpions or actually they like them as a food?
And an other question. How do I know if my scorpion had his last molt? I can't check his size properly as I dont wanna stretch his body out to measure him. He is fairly big, had one molt(still having his previous armour).
Still love this page and community, I've learned so much from here!
(attached a few pics)
Thank's in advance!

Attachments

Medi

Arachnopeon
Yes I know, thank you. I don't think he is getting ready to molt soon. I already removed the beetle from the cage and started to feed it in a separate box.
I'm just not sure if he'd like it.

scolopendra277

Arachnoknight
when I used mealworms, I didn't leave them alone, just kept an eye on them to make sure they don't burrow. you might want to try a more active feeder like crickets or roaches. My scorpions have been much keener on eating roaches than mealworms.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Dubia roaches is working great for my scorpions and they don't smell like crickets do

Polenth

Arachnobaron
The beetles are safe to eat, so you don't need to worry if that happens. But they do tend to be avoided by predators. My guess is they taste bad, but I haven't really wanted to try one to find out.

Medi

Arachnopeon
They typically dont eat those beetles in my experience
[/QUOTE]
Thank's for sharing this!

Last edited:

Medi

Arachnopeon
Dubia roaches is working great for my scorpions and they don't smell like crickets do
I agree. The easiest to maintain they environment too. I still have a small colony of dubia roach, but I tried different meals as he didn't eat for 4 month's.

Medi

Arachnopeon
when I used mealworms, I didn't leave them alone, just kept an eye on them to make sure they don't burrow. you might want to try a more active feeder like crickets or roaches. My scorpions have been much keener on eating roaches than mealworms.
Thank's for your answer, I'm gonna stay with the roaches I guess. I just wanted to try different foods as he didn't eat for 4 month's. I know it happens sometimes, but 4 months made me wonder, what if he not fancy for them.

Medi

Arachnopeon
The beetles are safe to eat, so you don't need to worry if that happens. But they do tend to be avoided by predators. My guess is they taste bad, but I haven't really wanted to try one to find out.
Haha okay and thank you for the useful information!

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
What would you do with the beetle then? Is it okay to let it go?
Only if they are native to your area. Otherwise, they must be killed or fed to something. Do you keep reptiles of any sort? Maybe a lizard would eat them. Or you could put them in the freezer for a week to ensure they die.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
What would you do with the beetle then? Is it okay to let it go?
Mealworms live in the wild in the UK. I release any excess from my colony into my composter/food digester, which is outdoors. They help break stuff down and it's not a big deal if they get out. This shouldn't be done if they're not either native or naturalised (there's some debate on where they came from, but generally we're talking Europe).

Medi

Arachnopeon
Mealworms live in the wild in the UK. I release any excess from my colony into my composter/food digester, which is outdoors. They help break stuff down and it's not a big deal if they get out. This shouldn't be done if they're not either native or naturalised (there's some debate on where they came from, but generally we're talking Europe).
Ah okay, thank's for your help!

Medi

Arachnopeon
Only if they are native to your area. Otherwise, they must be killed or fed to something. Do you keep reptiles of any sort? Maybe a lizard would eat them. Or you could put them in the freezer for a week to ensure they die.
I see, I'm gonna release it as "Polenth" said above! Thank's!