feeding maggots to ( t ) do you

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
[hi does any one feed maggots to their ( t ) i do not and i am not about to its just that some books say do and you can feed the house fly to but is it worth all that trouble for the nutrition of them :? :confused: /B]-- phil :) ;)

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i just have to say taht maggots are really kewl. my science teacher found a dead bird outside her classroom, and it was covered in maggots. we looked at the maggots in a microscope. they were really neat. anyways, i'm sure it would be fine for the t. i heard that maggots give off a lot of nutrition on a show. (man vs wild). I'd probably never eat a maggot, but I'm sure it's fine. :)

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would worry about external viruses or parasites. Farm raised crickets and such I would think would be less likely to introduce foreign invaders

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ewwwwww maggots. I wouldn't be able to...they freak me out.

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I feed captive raised maggots to my Ts on occasion. They are kinda small for the bigger Ts, but they are great for the slings that are not super tiny. They don't fight back so I don't worry about slings getting hurt. They are too big for the tiny slings but you could cut them up.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How do you captive raise maggots? Isn't there a bad odor involved with the food source?

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I purchase them, so I don't know how they start them out. But they come in a little tub with some kind of substrate, bran maybe?, just like mealworms. They last for a long time at room temperature. There are many kinds of flies, I don't know which ones these are the larvae of. They have a slight odor to them but you don't smell it unless you stick your nose in the container.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its pretty common over her to feed maggots to smaller T's, aqquired from fishing shops they present no problems. Small squat maggots are good for slings and regular maggots for large slings or juveniles. The good thing about them is you can store them in the fridge fro a very long time.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never seem them available so I couldn't say. If I need to feed something that small I go buy extra small phoenix worms.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks everyone and i think flies will be ok for arboreals as i think the wax moths would be ;) :) guess size will come in to it with the ( t ) ;) :) -- phil