Feeding Leaf Insects

magicinsects

Arachnopeon
Hi there,

I know that Indian Stick Insects will eat romaine lettuce, and was wondering if anyone knew if Leaf Insects will do the same. I have access to safe Oak and Blackberry, but it's a bit of a distance away, thus I was hoping to feed them lettuce in between trips. Please let me know! Thanks so much!

magicinsects

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your rapid reply, wizentrop! If I'm only able to source safe blackberry and oak once a week, can I keep it refrigerated in between feedings? I read it's best to replace it every other day. Is this the case? Are there any other more easily accessible leaves they'll eat? I'm in Los Angeles, California. Thanks so much!

Coradams

Arachnoknight
Does anyone know how much they eat in a day?
It would depend on how many you have and how big they are. You might also try oak leaves. If I am remembering correctly, mine would eat oak leaves in a pinch. I

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Yes, sometimes rose leaves work. Many leaf insects also accept guava leaves (not very common, I know).

If I'm only able to source safe blackberry and oak once a week, can I keep it refrigerated in between feedings?
Oak leaves do not respond well to cooling. Blackberry/raspberry fair better in the fridge.

But overall, the best plant that you can use is... tam tam tam...
Salal.

It is cold hardy, and can be kept in the fridge. Its leaves are being sold in flower shops because they keep their freshness for weeks after cutting.

magicinsects

Arachnopeon
Yes, sometimes rose leaves work. Many leaf insects also accept guava leaves (not very common, I know).

Oak leaves do not respond well to cooling. Blackberry/raspberry fair better in the fridge.

Salal.

It is cold hardy, and can be kept in the fridge. Its leaves are being sold in flower shops because they keep their freshness for weeks after cutting.
Wow, thanks for the insight. Would they be ok in a completely mesh inclosure or is it better to have just a mesh top to keep moisture in? I appreciate you letting me pick your brain!

Coradams

Arachnoknight
Salal.
Salal does not grow in my area. You mentioned it can be found in flower shops but can you feed flower shop leaves to the insects? I would be worried about pesticides.

Would they be ok in a completely mesh inclosure or is it better to have just a mesh top to keep moisture in?
Mine did very poorly in an hard plastic enclosure. They did much better in a mesh enclosure.

muratozturan

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your rapid reply, wizentrop! If I'm only able to source safe blackberry and oak once a week, can I keep it refrigerated in between feedings? I read it's best to replace it every other day. Is this the case? Are there any other more easily accessible leaves they'll eat? I'm in Los Angeles, California. Thanks so much!
Blackberry in a vase last a week or more for me without refrigeration , i can see even more it would in fridge. Most of the branches do even root and if you have a window you could just plant them. I also put all my blackberries in a narrow opening small bottle ( I use small flat milk bottles)and they stay good for a week. I change weekly with the new branches. I have several bottles so I prepare the bottle then just swap with the old one from the environment.
I am lucky enough to have too much blackberry in Seattle.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Bear in mind these are quite illegal to have in the United States.
Illegal without proper permitting and an advanced containment facility. Many institutions are able to keep both stick and leaf insects under USDA oversight, and I actually know a couple individuals who possess leaf insects (or other phasmids) legally. Just wanted to make the distinction that institutions are still able to keep Phylliidae, as I think this is important to know if you ever see them in a zoo or museum.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
I can count on just about one hand the number of people on this website, myself included, who I believe either work in a permitted facility or have a permit for their personal space ;) . I happen to be lucky to work in an institution that keeps, (well, kept, pre-pandemic) a large variety of permitted inverts and am pretty familiar with the regs ;)

I'll wager the OP does not have one, nor was probably aware they're illegal, so anytime I see 'How do I keep (insert illegal animal here) healthy' I feel this needs to be mentioned.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Are you keeping your food plant in water, it should last much longer than a week if so.

I collect bramble for my phasmids once a week then stick it in a water filled container/jam jar (if your phasmids are small use something with a tight bottleneck or pierce small holes in a lid or cover to slit bramble in).

Have never run out of foodplant during these intervals.