Feeding larger prey items like hornworms?

Cmoore0475

Arachnopeon
Okay so I was picking up crickets today at PetSmart. I had been wanting to try something like a hornworm to coax my D. pentaloris out of its burrow for a video of it attacking prey and eating. With crickets, they get too close to the hole and all i get recorded are legs coming out and snatching the cricket. I figured he’d have to work a bit to get that thing back under ground. It ate on it for a while and put it down, came up and was webbing around the top of enclosure. So question is will D. pentaloris go back to hornworm and finish large meal or it’s there a better chance it’s had its fill and I should remove what’s left while I can still get tweezers on it?? It’s been 12 hours.

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
It's a good idea to remove uneaten or leftover prey after about 24 hours to avoid mold and mites. Most Ts stop eating when they feel they're full, and with their slow metabolisms and a giant buffet that was the hornworm, it might be a while before they're ready for another meal. Your pal might go back for a second snack within 24 hours, but any longer and they will usually be too full and done. After that time, any food left over is just going to be a breeding ground for mites, mold, and spoilage.
I hope this helps!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Uneaten? Remove it if T is plump or you get flies etc

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
Although there's no direct threats if it is left for the standard 24hour period, I'd still remove anything that hasn't been finished in that sitting after a couple of hours. It's likely had it's fill and lost interest.

Cmoore0475

Arachnopeon
Okay so I was picking up crickets today at PetSmart. I had been wanting to try something like a hornworm to coax my D. pentaloris out of its burrow for a video of it attacking prey and eating. With crickets, they get too close to the hole and all i get recorded are legs coming out and snatching the cricket. I figured he’d have to work a bit to get that thing back under ground. It ate on it for a while and put it down, came up and was webbing around the top of enclosure. So question is will D. pentaloris go back to hornworm and finish large meal or it’s there a better chance it’s had its fill and I should remove what’s left while I can still get tweezers on it?? It’s been 12 hours.
I went back a little later and it was snacking down again! It’s always been a great eater.On a side note my GBB is in premolt I think, it looks like it, and it left a cricket to roam all around its web lair for about 8-10 hours. I went ahead and pulled the cricket on chance it could start actively molting.