Feeding Issue

bjornnn

Arachnopeon
I keep an A.versicolor spiderling (about 2.5 - 3cm) in a 20cm high, 9 cm wide glass jar with about 6/7cm of substrate. I'm wondering if this jar is too big for the spider seeing as it doesnt seem to be able to find its crickets so easily. It never seems to catch the crickets, although I suspect it has eaten a few dead ones which have dissapeared, it just slowly follows them now and then in a half-arsed sort of way never quite managing to catch up with them. Does anyone have any advice? Whats the best way to observe your spider feeding? Cheers

Shaka

Arachnopeon
Well, you've sort of already mentioned the solution. If your Spider is not getting to its food by the time it dies, then rather keep your sling in a smaller container like a deli cup etc., until it's next molt and it's a bit bigger, then transfer it back to it's original container when you think it's ready. :)

bjornnn

Arachnopeon
Well, you've sort of already mentioned the solution. If your Spider is not getting to its food by the time it dies, then rather keep your sling in a smaller container like a deli cup etc., until it's next molt and it's a bit bigger, then transfer it back to it's original container when you think it's ready. :)
I'm just wondering if it really is too big a container. The dead crickets were already dead before they were put in. I've spoken to someone else who keeps a 3/4 inch versicolor in roughly the same size container and feeds it with no problem by just tipping the crickets onto the webbing. Mine doesn't respond to this and doesn't make webbing either, which cant help. hmm