Feeding/Health issues with my Ts, please help!

Skaia

Arachnopeon
It's been at least a month and a half if not 2 months since my tarantulas have eaten, and I'm very worried about them. I have 2 Mexican red knees and a pink toe and all 3 of them refuse to eat, and they look really ill. The pink toe and one of the Smithis are barely mobile, they haven't moved an inch in weeks and they both look like they're beginning to starve. The pink toe worries me in particular, she's seemed to have shrunk in the abdomen and it looks very weird and has some unusual coloration (and the usual bright red
they have is very dull grey). Im aware tarantulas can survive a very long time without food but Im worried their health is failing, I don't think they're getting enough liquids either, one of the Smithis will drink all her water within a week but the others hardly drink any of it within 2 weeks.

I'm trying not to interfere and trying to leave them be so I don't stress them. I'm still kind of new to the hobby and I've never run into possible health issues before, I don't think they're in premolt because the behavior they've shown in past premolts is far different, plus it seems odd they'd all be in premolt at the same time. What should I do, are they risking starving to death? I've only tried to give them food twice and they've all refused both times, should I try again or will it stress them out?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Start by posting some pictures of the spiders and their enclosures. That will make it easier for the people here to see what's going on and identify possible sources for your problems.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Often times if they look very sick/unhealthy it's because something isn't right with their enclosure or their "climate control" is off. Posting pics would help us determine if either of these factors are the cause.

Also you say not premolt because their behavior during premolt has been different in the past...how long have you had them, have you changed anything recently, etc.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
sounds like some wrong husbandry. but pics are needed. also, dont expect your spider to drink all its water in a day like a cat or dog, they drink rarely, and its even rarer to catch one drinking.

Skaia

Arachnopeon
Start by posting some pictures of the spiders and their enclosures. That will make it easier for the people here to see what's going on and identify possible sources for your problems.
I'll try, the enclosures are a little dry because of the room they're in being very dry (were moving next week so they'll be in a warmer, more humid room soon)
The second one is the smithi that's been cooperating a little more and drinking more often then the other two.

Attachments

Skaia

Arachnopeon
sounds like some wrong husbandry. but pics are needed. also, dont expect your spider to drink all its water in a day like a cat or dog, they drink rarely, and its even rarer to catch one drinking.
I've heard this before, but based on the fact they don't move and they don't eat, I'm worried they're dehydrated if nothing else

Skaia

Arachnopeon
Often times if they look very sick/unhealthy it's because something isn't right with their enclosure or their "climate control" is off. Posting pics would help us determine if either of these factors are the cause.

Also you say not premolt because their behavior during premolt has been different in the past...how long have you had them, have you changed anything recently, etc.
The only recent changes would be the weather, it gets very cold in the winter and they start to slow down a little bit because the house temp drops a bit too, but they never actually quite like this. Plus they've been just fine through colder weather. The only issue I could think of being wrong with their tanks would be the dry substrate, it's an ongoing battle we've had every winter. In a week or so they're gonna be in a warmer more humid room to hopefully help with that, plus I spray the substrate every week as recommended by the guy who sold us the smithi.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've heard this before, but based on the fact they don't move and they don't eat, I'm worried they're dehydrated if nothing else
post a pic of the whole Avicularia cage. (pinktoe) if its one of those stupid pet co ones, you need to change it, no wonder you noticed your spiders going downhill.

Skaia

Arachnopeon
Sorry for the bad quality pictures I tried to get the clearest shots possible, hopefully theyll be enough for someone more experienced to identify a problem

Skaia

Arachnopeon
post a pic of the whole Avicularia cage. (pinktoe) if its one of those stupid pet co ones, you need to change it, no wonder you noticed your spiders going downhill.
It is a petco one, we were thinking of waiting until she ate to move her to a new enclosure. Should I just move her right away?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
the brachys look fine. (from what i can see) its the pinktoes cage thats the problem. you should def move her to a highly ventilated cage with dry substrate and a water dish.

Skaia

Arachnopeon
the brachys look fine. (from what i can see) its the pinktoes cage thats the problem.
I've seen angry rants about petco containers but never looked into it, is there something about petco containers that is harmful to the spider? Are they just too small or is there a larger issue

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I've seen angry rants about petco containers but never looked into it, is there something about petco containers that is harmful to the spider? Are they just too small or is there a larger issue
Avicularia require a lot of ventilation. they die very quickly in wet stuffy cages.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
For the smithis it's fine if they're not eating, and pretty normal, though I would still try feeding at least once a week until they eat. Don't mist their cages, just make sure their water dishes are always full (and provide them with good sized dishes) - in winter it's easy for humidity to get very low due to furnaces. A water dish should be sufficient to combat that though, maybe overflow them a little but that should do it.
My B boehmei slows down a lot in the winter but it's normal. I keep my temps in the low to high 70s, sometimes dipping to 68 at night but no lower.

Definitely get that poor Avic out of that plastic container though - set it up with more ventilation, a water dish, and proper substrate! None of that sponge BS. Would YOU like to walk around on a cold wet sponge all day? :p

Skaia

Arachnopeon
Avicularia require a lot of ventilation. they die very quickly in wet stuffy cages.
The cage is very dry right now, but was really humid when we first got her. What is a good height for a juvenile avic?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The cage is very dry right now, but was really humid when we first got her. What is a good height for a juvenile avic?
Avicularia are best kept dry at that size with a full water dish. go for like 4 times its leg span in height, there really isnt a limit, within reason.
also, you shouldnt leave dead prey items in your tarantulas cage.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Can't really tell much of anything from those pictures other than the Avic enclosure needs to be changed.

cold blood

Staff member
The only recent changes would be the weather, it gets very cold in the winter and they start to slow down a little bit because the house temp drops a bit too, but they never actually quite like this. Plus they've been just fine through colder weather. The only issue I could think of being wrong with their tanks would be the dry substrate, it's an ongoing battle we've had every winter. In a week or so they're gonna be in a warmer more humid room to hopefully help with that, plus I spray the substrate every week as recommended by the guy who sold us the smithi.
1. Dont mist a smithi enclosure

2. Probably best not to get advice from the guy or the place that sold you the smithi.

3. Avic care is quite specific, consider your t lucky to have survived that death trap of an enclosure.

How big is the avic? Its size will tell you the size enclosure it requires.

The new set up should have good cross ventilation....the lid needs little or none. Lean some wood for it to climb on and surround the mid to top of that wood with plastic plants. As it is now, the cover is on the ground, opposite of how you would provide cover for an avic.

Make sure you provide a water dish.