feeding full shrimps

OBT1

Arachnosquire
I have never tried it but I don't have to think twice about it to know that it could kill the tarantula.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Shrimp hae alot in common with land dwelling authropods, though perhaps the dietary make up is a bit different; it still can be handled like a tarantula eating a cricket; the shell is just a touch thicker. I see no reason why not to use them for a 'treat' or dietary needs to be honest; Fish however with their poor nutrional value (nearly worthles with normal feeder fish If I recall correctly) would not make a good staple, but are very intresting to watch, especialy with the spiders diving to catch them... I think it was a Blondi that had a semi aquatic enclosure, and was shown diving? I could be mistaken.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Shrimp hae alot in common with land dwelling authropods, though perhaps the dietary make up is a bit different; it still can be handled like a tarantula eating a cricket; the shell is just a touch thicker. I see no reason why not to use them for a 'treat' or dietary needs to be honest; Fish however with their poor nutrional value (nearly worthles with normal feeder fish If I recall correctly) would not make a good staple, but are very intresting to watch, especialy with the spiders diving to catch them... I think it was a Blondi that had a semi aquatic enclosure, and was shown diving? I could be mistaken.
The video I saw was H. gigas.

BenjaminBoa

Arachnosquire
I've personally never tried it but I know of people who have had success feeding shrimp (Thawed) to tarantulas.I recommend anyone who does try it to make sure any uneaten shrimp is removed from the enclosure or that might get quite nasty heh!
-Chris
I got my GBB to take a hornworm that I had accidentally killed squeezing too hard with the tongs on the head. When he was cleaning his web and adding onto it he found it, He looked like he was probing at it with his palps and fangs, after a minute of feeling it he picked it up and started eating it. I think if you put dead prey near or in their territory when they do maintenance they'll find it and eat it. I've gotten him to take the tips of mouse tails or feet that broke off in the bag while they were frozen in this same way. My haplopelma will attack larger live prey, back off, and then ten minutes later come back out and wander around until she finds it. But Idk, I've never tried this with my A metallica, and I've never tried dead prey for my haplopelma lividum, I have my doubts about both.. I think if the haplo didn't expect to find food it would just end up burrying the food, and my A.metallica would never notice dead food unless it was somehow suspended in the air...

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
another thing to ad in, I've seen and practiced feeding small 'true spiders' with fish flakes, they can be scavangers when its presented.

jim777

Arachnosquire
I've given little feeder goldfish to my T's but only to see if they'd eat them (they certainly did!). I wouldn't use them as a staple though because I don't have to, and don't know what the long term effects would be.

BenjaminBoa

Arachnosquire
I think one factor of whether or not they'll take a prey item too is the size of it. Benji was out yesterday (my boa) he looked like he was hungry (after having them for a while you start to notice little things they do when they're hungry) So I ran out and bought him a small sized mouse (forgot my wallet so I needed to buy something with quarters lol) Anyway he struck the mouse and missed, it seemed like he was all put out after that because he didn't try again. So I tried offering it to my green bottle blue, it struck it but then when it saw.. or felt (not sure which) how big the mouse was it ran away and kicked hairs at it. I cut off one of the legs and tried just the leg, the GBB took it right away. Even dead my GBB will only eat things of a certain size I guess.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Though some may turn up their nose at a roach colony in disgust... A meal-worm colony on the other hand is a great supplemental food source for any T. Its not as nasty as roaches, and VERY easy to maintain.

Ethan Saubier

Arachnopeon
T. Stirmi eating a piece of a giant freshwater prawn. It's a raw 4-bite shrimp from the grocery store. I tried beef heart and he wouldn't take it but he took this within 5 minutes. Cheers

Attachments