feeding full shrimps

barbuchon

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I had a savannah monitor before, a reptile that should be feeding mostly on crickets. Since I don't have any where I am from, and didn't want to raise them, full shrimp was a nice alternative known for monitors. Obviously, shrimps are invertebrate. I used tongs to simulate life. Like tarantula, I think you can't give 'em mices because they are to fat. I gave 'em frog legs too.

Would that be possible. When I'll go to the city, I'll go buy some insects, but I can't give 'em insects all the time.

arachnofitz

Arachnosquire
im not sure i actually havnt tried it.. how ever, shrimps have thick carapace, it might put your t's at risk

barbuchon

Arachnopeon
usually I cut 'em in half and pour warm water to defrost 'em. I don't think it's more solid than a roach but I might be wrong, it's not like I eat 'em myself.

I should add that if things are right, I'm planning on buying a adult specimen, not a 'ling.

Last edited:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There was a user on here that endorsed feeding live shrimp to his larger tarantulas. I've never heard of anyone feeding dead or frozen stuff. I'm not sure if they'd take it.

barbuchon

Arachnopeon
Well I've seen people feeding piece of lean beef or chickens' hearts. People said they are opportunist scavenger and in real life will feed on road kill from time to time. There's a picture on the web of one sucking on a piece of bloody beef. What people were woried, is not having a whole prey; this is what led me to believe a full shrimp would be perfect, just like my monitor, you know the whole thing, legs, eyes, blablabla. I've seen people give roaches so beated up, they are almost dead, people shake 'em with the tongs 'til the T bite the f*cker. I'll make the shrimp dance you know, not just throw it in the cage. I'll try to give live whole prey as much as possible, but it won't be the general base of nutruition. I guess I'll have to try it and report it.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I've come across one user who fed one of his larger specimens a snail. I think just about everyone has seen the grape picture, fish too.

I'd say go for it if you can stand the smell of low tide while your spider feeds for hours.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I've seen people feeding piece of lean beef or chickens' hearts. People said they are opportunist scavenger and in real life will feed on road kill from time to time.
This is true. I found one small Aphonopelma that was dehydrated and barely alive. It was too weak to take crickets, so I offered it a little canned cat food. It ate a couple small meals of cat food, and then was able to take crickets. I would not offer cat food as a standard food - but tarantulas do scavenge, and will take foods that we may not think of as "normal".

OphidianDelight

Arachnoknight
There was a user on here that endorsed feeding live shrimp to his larger tarantulas. I've never heard of anyone feeding dead or frozen stuff. I'm not sure if they'd take it.
+1

I remember that user's post as well but couldn't find it when I was reading this last night.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've personally never tried it but I know of people who have had success feeding shrimp (Thawed) to tarantulas.I recommend anyone who does try it to make sure any uneaten shrimp is removed from the enclosure or that might get quite nasty heh!
-Chris

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not sure if they'd take it.
That depends on whether or not you offer them with cocktail sauce ;)

It may be possible, but it seems somewhat impractical/expensive. What's the advantage or appeal of feeding shrimp to your tarantula instead of crickets or roaches? Novelty?

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince

It may be possible, but it seems somewhat impractical/expensive. What's the advantage or appeal of feeding shrimp to your tarantula instead of crickets or roaches? Novelty?
I would just go all out and bring home some swordfish and lobster tails.

---------- Post added 02-11-2012 at 02:37 PM ----------

Hello,

I had a savannah monitor before, a reptile that should be feeding mostly on crickets. Since I don't have any where I am from, and didn't want to raise them, full shrimp was a nice alternative known for monitors. Obviously, shrimps are invertebrate. I used tongs to simulate life. Like tarantula, I think you can't give 'em mices because they are to fat. I gave 'em frog legs too.

Would that be possible. When I'll go to the city, I'll go buy some insects, but I can't give 'em insects all the time.
I have read that feeding your T's pinkies in addition to crickets and roaches is okay. I find it to be cruel myself, but that's just me. Feeding larger mice to T's could lead to injury to your T (mice of very sharp teeth and know how to sue them) and I have read that a T might ingest too much calcium which could lead to difficulty molting if fed close to a molt. That's not to say that many people haven't had much success feeding mice/pinkies to their tarantulas. Just type it in on youtube and you'll see first hand success stories :).

I have also read that you can feed them little goldfish too. I think I'm going to stick to the gutloaded crickets for now. Let us know how it works out!

Last edited:

barbuchon

Arachnopeon

Well I taught I was pretty clear that I just can't have crickets, roaches, worms over here on weekly basis. Money isn't a issue, I'd rather feed 'em with a good source of food.

What's the appeal of full shrimps? Like pointed before, a whole prey; with shell, organs, meat, no fat. Maybe you could provide me with a better solution of something that can be frost?

---------- Post added 02-12-2012 at 12:14 AM ----------

Goldfish sounds like a nice alternative, yet I'm looking for something dead, frost or in cans. Like I said, frog legs, snails and shrimps have been my solution for my monitors. Pinkies are to much fat on a routine diet. A treat is something different.

Sounds like I'll need to make EXTRA sure everything is clean but it can't be worse than monitors' poop.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry I can't offer you a better option. In my opinion, feeding a spider frozen shrimp, goldfish, or food from cans isn't practical. If you're unable to offer insects as your spider's primary food source, maybe you should consider getting a different pet.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I taught I was pretty clear that I just can't have crickets, roaches, worms over here on weekly basis. Money isn't a issue, I'd rather feed 'em with a good source of food.

What's the appeal of full shrimps? Like pointed before, a whole prey; with shell, organs, meat, no fat. Maybe you could provide me with a better solution of something that can be frost?

---------- Post added 02-12-2012 at 12:14 AM ----------

Goldfish sounds like a nice alternative, yet I'm looking for something dead, frost or in cans. Like I said, frog legs, snails and shrimps have been my solution for my monitors. Pinkies are to much fat on a routine diet. A treat is something different.

Sounds like I'll need to make EXTRA sure everything is clean but it can't be worse than monitors' poop.
T's do much better with live prey than dead. you can do a "zombie" dance with them sometimes but that does not always work.
There are lots of different types of shrimp, but I would have two concerns about using them. a) salt content, b) shell thickness.
a) Most shrimp are salt water, where as T's eat "fresh" water prey and are sensitive changes in their internal water balance.
b) most shrimp are thin shelled but I know some can be thicker shelled (like craw-fish) and it would depend on the size of the T you are feeding.

I know you said you can't get crickets but starting a roach colony would make much more sense.

arachnofitz

Arachnosquire
i wonder thou.. do shrimps have high calcium content?? considering its a crustacean.. it might cause molting problems..

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Shrimp will work, It also is a good source for iodine which assists in the molt process. I have also fed fish and they eat that too!

Wade

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Shrimp will work, It also is a good source for iodine which assists in the molt process. I have also fed fish and they eat that too!

Wade
Would you use fish or shrimp as a primary food source?

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have the attitude that true health comes from variety in the diet so I often try to offer food items that are varied. Although I find this topic to be another one of those topics like substrate that can get beaten to death with close minded people who feel there is not another "accepted " method .

Wade

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have the attitude that true health comes from variety in the diet so I often try to offer food items that are varied. Although I find this topic to be another one of those topics like substrate that can get beaten to death with close minded people who feel there is not another "accepted " method .

Wade
I hope I didn't give that impression. I'm all for variety. It just strikes me as impractical to only feed shrimp or fish to a tarantula and exclude traditional feeder insects from its diet.