Feeding fruit flies to mantis

toddw

Arachnopeon
Sorry for the newbie post, but I am now the proud owner of 4 mantids: 2 Chinese (L3/4), one African (SPHODROMANTIS BACETTI L4), and one Ghost mantis (L5/6 I think). The Chinese are thriving, eating, growing. Both molted once, and one molted again a couple of days later (is this weird?). The African mantis seems ok, I haven't seen him feed yet I don't think, but is active and interesting in flies, so I assume he/she has fed while I wasn't looking. The Ghost Mantis was extremely active when I first got him, so cute. After a day or two he got much less active. Haven't seen him feed yet. I'm keeping him a little warmer and higher humidity than the others. The Ghost Mantis spends a lot of time just hanging there moving his head around a bit, occasionally moving to a new perch. I could not coax him out to walk on my hand except when I first got him, when he seemed quite friendly. I though maybe he was getting ready to molt so I have prety much left 'em alone.

My main question is how many and how often to add flies. I have tried to keep 5-10 flies in each enclosure. I have them all in large deli cups, like:

1611521424990.png

Is it bad to have too many in there, like maybe it might annoy the mantids? Or, i wondered if having too many might actually be harder for the mantids to focus on one long enough to grab them. Should I feed them as much as they would take? I did hear this was ok for younger mantis. I also noticed that the flies (hydei) seem to get less active after a couple of days. as compared to when I first got the culture. I would like to find out more about how to keep these. Are there any comprehensive references?

toddw

Arachnopeon
Those seem too big for fruit flies. Get some house flies or blue bottle flies.
Yeah, I was thinking the same, at least for th Chinese mantises. They are pretty large. The African and Ghost mantids are the ones I'm more concerned about. They seem pretty timid compared to the Chinese.

Here's a pic of the African Mantis. Does it look over/underfed?
1611529936949.png

What would be a good next breed to get?

Last edited:

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I was thinking the same, at least for th Chinese mantises. They are pretty large. The African and Ghost mantids are the ones I'm more concerned about. They seem pretty timid compared to the Chinese.

Here's a pic of the African Mantis. Does it look over/underfed?
View attachment 373421

What would be a good next breed to get?
Looks well fed. Species not breed, and I would say Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii. Super pretty and easy to keep if you have the right amount of cross ventilation.

toddw

Arachnopeon
I have somewhat standard containers (cups) with, I'd say, around 40% open area, covered with open weave paper. Built/sold as an enclosure for insects. Do you think his will be sufficient for this wahlbergii species? Thanks.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I have somewhat standard containers (cups) with, I'd say, around 40% open area, covered with open weave paper. Built/sold as an enclosure for insects. Do you think his will be sufficient for this wahlbergii species? Thanks.
Pictures?

toddw

Arachnopeon
Same as I showed on the original post. Purchased from USMANTIS, though I think they are pretty standard. I'm thinking of buying some mesh and maybe add more ventilation.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Same as I showed on the original post. Purchased from USMANTIS, though I think they are pretty standard. I'm thinking of buying some mesh and maybe add more ventilation.
Don’t buy from US mantis. Big time scammers.

toddw

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I did see some posts to that effect (here and/or on Reddit). My experience was not bad. Of course, I am no expert, just getting started.