Feeding frequency

LAking

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If any of you still don't know, i just got my first T. A female WC PZB. While the T does not look deathly thin in any way, it definately doesn't look as plump as some of the PZB's i've seen on this board. My question is whether i should just feed it a standard couple times a week or can/should I actually "power feed" a T in order for it to plump it up a bit?

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by LAking
If any of you still don't know, i just got my first T. A female WC PZB. While the T does not look deathly thin in any way, it definately doesn't look as plump as some of the PZB's i've seen on this board. My question is whether i should just feed it a standard couple times a week or can/should I actually "power feed" a T in order for it to plump it up a bit?

I say plump it up baby.
If its eatting, let it eat.

ET

LAking

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I say plump it up baby.
It definately seems hungry:D
When i first put in a couple crickets, she pounced on one, and while she was digging into that one, the other one made the mistake of trying to sneak up on her from behind. She quickly turned around and grabbed that one as well. They can be such pigs. I also fed it a fly that i cought last night.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You can feed a T pretty much as it will eat - just don't feed it until its abdomen is nearing dragging the ground, though. That's a T which is at much greater risk for fatal injury from a drop or other physical trauma.

On the other hand, even your "couple of times a week", which you tossed out as a low end for feeding is far, far, more than a T needs to be fed. You can easily go a few weeks between feedings with no problems. Unless your T is actually shrinking, you're feeding it enough for the temp and its activity level.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How big is your tarantula? If it is a s'ling, then I say it is ok for power feeding. If it is an adult, it would be a bad idea to feed it too much.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I feed my T's 2x a week.2-3 large crickets mid-week and again on Sunday.Juveys and slings once every couple of days.All are healthy and active and not dragging their butts all over...lol..Some of the larger adults will get a silkworm or large mealworm periodically as treats.Most enjoy the attacking of the prey.Feeding less frequently usually ensures they're hungry and will readily take their food.....peace..