Feeding Dart Frogs

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Are there any good roaches that can be used to consistently feed dart frogs? I thought about setting up a vivarium for them today but don't particularly like the prospect of culturing fruit flies constantly.

Thanks,

Orchidlove

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Sorry but dart frogs prefer small prey. If you keep dart frogs there is no way around culturing ff's. Yes you can supplement with bean beetles, termites etc. But I think even the smallest roach nymph would be too big and there would only be a few species you coupd even attempt to feed roaches. I don't even feed pinhead crickets because they're too big.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Sorry but dart frogs prefer small prey. If you keep dart frogs there is no way around culturing ff's. Yes you can supplement with bean beetles, termites etc. But I think even the smallest roach nymph would be too big and there would only be a few species you coupd even attempt to feed roaches. I don't even feed pinhead crickets because they're too big.
I did some research and found Little Kenyans and micro hooded roaches to be quite small. Would these be too large for even the biggest dart frog species?

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Are they smaller then a pinhead?
The adults max out at less than half an inch so I'd assume immatures would be roughly the size of fruit flies. Probably not suitable for thumbnails of course.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I did some research and found Little Kenyans and micro hooded roaches to be quite small. Would these be too large for even the biggest dart frog species?
I'm not familiar with those roaches. I've only kept dubia and lateralis.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
The adults max out at less than half an inch so I'd assume immatures would be roughly the size of fruit flies. Probably not suitable for thumbnails of course.
A pinhead is way smaller, and they aren't suitable.

If there was an easier way, froggers would have found it throughout the years. They are very proactive keepers.

Good luck.

paumotu

Arachnobaron

If there was an easier way, froggers would have found it throughout the years. They are very proactive keepers.

Good luck.
Alright, just thought I'd check. Thank you!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer

Good luck.
I'll echo this. Dart froggers are always looking for the easiest way to do anything. Fruit fly culturing is quite easy and not very time consuming.

I keep dart frogs and I do feed my largest frogs with baby Isopods every few weeks but would never do it as a main diet component.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Newborn little Kenyans would probably work, they're about the size of fruit flies. But I'd only feed to larger frog species/morphs. Adult azureus would probably gobble them up like they're nothing. As you said, probably no good for thumbnails. Little Kenyans would probably be a good supplement or treat every now and then, but I'd probably still stick with fruit flies. Last thing you'd want is a couple roaches escaping the mouth of a frog and growing up in the tank.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
At this point in the hobby the culturing of fruit flies is essential when caring for dart frogs. Adults of the phylobates genus may take larger prey (my mints will take 1/4 inch crickets and dubia nymphs) but that is the exception and not the rule.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
All this Dart Frog talk and recent pictures shown by one @moricollins has me wanting a dart frog tank more then ever!!

Do they have Dart Frog installation companies like they do with fish tanks?!

I'm not a DIYer by the furthest stretch of the imagination!!! :)

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
All this Dart Frog talk and recent pictures shown by one @moricollins has me wanting a dart frog tank more then ever!!

Do they have Dart Frog installation companies like they do with fish tanks?!

I'm not a DIYer by the furthest stretch of the imagination!!! :)
I'd be happy to team up with Mori and install a PDF tank for you for a ludicrously large fee haha
Nah. I'll help ya anyway I can.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I'd be happy to team up with Mori and install a PDF tank for you for a ludicrously large fee haha
Nah. I'll help ya anyway I can.
Lmao! Yeah..im focused on my T's....Im not up for learning the ins and outs of being a frogger....not at this point in my life! Also I know I would not be satisfied with my own build even if I could pull it off. I want something dreamy haha...just being honest!

I'd prefer option one at a REASONABLE rate. LOL

Do sincerely appreciate the gesture though 🙏

I thought picking T's were hard....then I stumbled on gorgeous PDF over gorgeous PDF!

Those Chromes though @moricollins....😍

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Lmao! Yeah..im focused on my T's....Im not up for learning the ins and outs of being a frogger....not at this point in my life! Also I know I would not be satisfied with my own build even if I could pull it off. I want something dreamy haha...just being honest!

I'd prefer option one at a REASONABLE rate. LOL

Do sincerely appreciate the gesture though 🙏

I thought picking T's were hard....then I stumbled on gorgeous PDF over gorgeous PDF!

Those Chromes though @moricollins....😍
Really not that much to learn as far as husbandry. Behavior and body language and such yes. I believe that frogging/T keeping/aquaculture are pretty similar so you wouldn't have a big learning curve. But yes hard to pick out a wish list among many beautiful species.
Another similarity between frogging and T"s is that the Europeans have already been working with all the cool/beautiful smuggled specimens for years.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
IMG_20131110_101416.jpg
Epic we can get you to a full frog room in no time at all.
Yes, there is a single tadpole in each 16oz. deli cup

paumotu

Arachnobaron
How many dart frogs (and of what species) can reasonably fit within a ten-gallon tank? The general consensus of a quick google search says a pair, any opinions?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
How many dart frogs (and of what species) can reasonably fit within a ten-gallon tank? The general consensus of a quick google search says a pair, any opinions?
I, personally, wouldn't put anything besides a pair of Ranitomeya dart frogs into a tank of that size. (You'd want to customize the tank so it is vertically oriented instead of horizontally).

My smallest tank in use is a 20 gallon long, and it only houses a single dart frog