feeding crickets fish flakes

Andy00

Arachnoknight
I tried feeding my crickets some carrots but they didn't seem to eat them after a day. Then I read that they can eat fish food so I tried that and they devoured it super fast. I was wondering if tropical fish flakes have some bad ingredient for feeder crickets that are fed to tarantulas. My avic avic just ate one of the crickets about 2 hours after I fed the crickets the fish flakes and there was some red colored goo that came out of it (Definitely not blood) that was the same color as the fish flakes. Is this going to do harm to my T's? Definitely gonna start giving them lettuce and carrots from now on :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I wouldn't use fish flakes, don't they have artificial colors, and god knows what preservatives and what else. Lettuce, carrots and potatoes are how I hydrate my crickets, and a big part of their diet.

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Ya I just got bad advice from some website online. :/ never again. I hope nothing happens to my avic

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Like @Poec54 said its best to use the most natural food sources as possible to feed your crickets because just like pretty much all commercial pet food there bound to be treated with beta carotene's, sex hormones, art. colors/flavors etc..All those chemicals gets passed down to the T, which who knows what that might entail in the long-term. I'm sure that it was just the red food flavoring in the cricket's gut that you saw & that your Avic will be fine ;)

Last edited:

truecreature

Arachnoknight
You can give them raw oat bran for a dry food, it's high in protein, iron, and such. I only give mine carrot or potato every other day or so for hydration

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I can't speak to crickets specifically, but my roach colony lives on 100% pig or chick feed, whichever is cheaper when I go to buy. If it's pig feed, you'll need to put it in a blender. I prefer to feed dry food for two reasons: 1) Easier to stock up in bulk, and 2) Less chance of mold if food went uneaten. For water, garden crystals work perfectly.

I can't imagine the food requirements for crickets are much different than roaches, but someone feel free to call me a liar if I'm wrong!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Crickets aren't very nutritious, at least for reptiles, and doubt they are packed w/food potential for Ts. Lettuce isn't nutritious either, it's a source of moisture.

Never tried fish flakes for Ts. I've only used Fluker's Cricket Chow and some veggies like carrots.

I think if you feed fish flakes your T will grow gills.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I occasionally feed dubia roaches goldfish flakes and there are no ill effects to the spiders that eat them. I tried giving goldfish flakes to crickets but the crickets wouldn't eat it as vigourously as the roaches. I recommend though to stick with fresh fruits and vegetables just becase it provides both food and water to your feeder insects which makes for a healthier insect thus healthier spider. And it's cheaper as well. My roaches and crickets both get regular diet of fruits and vegetables.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hmmmm ... I feed my crickets fish flakes since they are cheap and readily available. Have not had any issues yet. Should I reconsider?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Hmmmm ... I feed my crickets fish flakes since they are cheap and readily available. Have not had any issues yet. Should I reconsider?
Let your own results dictate your course of action instead of relying on the advice of others which could be speculative at best. ;)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Let your own results dictate your course of action instead of relying on the advice of others which could be speculative at best. ;)
Fair enough. 10+ years feeding fish flakes to my feeder crickets and (knock on wood) no issues so I presume all is well. I also avoid the majorly crazy ones with all kinds of excess color enhancing formulas in them and what not. I stick with the classic Tetra-min flakes. I've had fish since I was a wee lad so the supply is readily available around here!

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
This probably should have been posted in the "Insects, Other Invertebrates, and Arthropods" sub-forum ;)

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
When I used to keep crickets fish food was a staple in their diets along with dog/cat food and fruits/veggies. Never had any problems and all of my punks (Ts) are still alive and well. Granted I used good/pricier fish food that I fed my SA cichlids and I also switched to dubias. My dubias get a fish food treat every now and then and they tear it up.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When I used to keep crickets fish food was a staple in their diets along with dog/cat food and fruits/veggies. Never had any problems and all of my punks (Ts) are still alive and well. Granted I used good/pricier fish food that I fed my SA cichlids and I also switched to dubias. My dubias get a fish food treat every now and then and they tear it up.
My dubias always get veggies, appropriate table scraps, chick feed, as well as turtle and fish food when I am busy or lazy. Never had an issue.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thread almost died but not too old, I use fishflakes. I consider that some of the most environmentally sensitive animals are fish. Fish, shrimp, crawdads, ...they all do fine on fishflakes. You can also go to youtube and see how it's made in the factory. I feed them other things too though.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
I used to make a dry mixture of rolled oats and Kelloggs cornflakes in a food processor for cricket gut load when I was first into herps and Ts, not sure when Dubia roaches and other varieties started becoming available, but back during my first streak 1996~2005 roaches where not readily available. Crickets, superworms and occasionally wax worms were all that was available.
When did dubias and the trend of keeping roach colonies become popular?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I've been known to toss in some fish flakes but I do find it makes their enclosure stink more. If I didn't happen to have plenty of fish flakes on hand already, then I wouldn't bother purchasing it just for feeders. I mostly feed fresh produces (mustard greens, carrots, romaines, apples, oranges along with whole wheat bread and sometimes Iams cat food) and my roaches are on their 20+ generation by now and doing fine.

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
Fish flakes get moldy for me too fast. Preferably something more solid like shrimp pellets would be better as they contain lots of calcium and prorteins that both your feeder and eater will enjoy. They also come in large containers that are not very expensive which come with more food than fish flake cans of the same size.

Dubias were popular for quite a while now, as they are probably the best sustainable feeder for insectivores out there. They have minimal care requirements and contain lots of proteins and vitamin A & E, while being quieter, calmer, and less odorous than crickets. They are also great pets for the beginning enthusiast or someone who wants to get used to "creepy-crawlers" as they can be very interesting to watch and are somewhat handleable.