Feeding and breeding?

Case

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is it a bad idea to try to mate spiders whilst they are "on the feed"?
My male rosie recently matured and I think I've worked up the nerve to let him make an attempt, but right now, both of them are eating every single cricket I put in the cage. I don't want to overfeed them, but I also don't want her to mistake him for dinner...
Should I wait until they have had their fill of crickets before making an attempt?

Thanks!

Case

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Of course

Keep all distractions out - you wouldn't want some cric's crawling on you while you were trying to do the nasty, would you?

Case

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry, I wasn't really clear there. I can see where you wouldn't want any prey roaming around in the area while they're trying to mate.
But what I meant was, should I keep feeding them and wait until they stop accepting prey before I put them together for an attempted mating? I mean, keep giving them as many crickets as they will eat until they stop eating them, then remove all uneaten prey and let them try? Or is it okay to give it a try as long as they have both eaten recently?

Case

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Case.
It would take a lot of crix before they actually refuse any more. Most of the time, even a very well fed T will still pounce on prey due to their being opportunistic feeders. Generally in the wild T's make the most of every single meal because it may be some time before they will see the next. Better you just give them enough to plump them up pretty good before pairing them up.
Good luck! :)

Atrax