Feeding a Tiger Centipede to a Warrior Beetle

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@BobBarley and I were responding more specifically to a post from someone else and the intent was not to attack anyone or be insensitive, but to try to examine things objectively.

I don't think you're a hypocrite and I respect your feelings on the matter. If I viewed the video that way, I would dislike it as well but to me, I saw it more as educational, like a recent series by the BBC showing many aspects of the lives of different arthropods, including a scorpion facing off against a centipede, a scorpion mating dance, a spider that specializes in hunting other spiders, a praying mantis mating even as it was being eaten -- some of it is brutal, disturbing even.
Do you mind if I ask what the BBC series is called? Was it Life in the Undergrowth? Life? Insect Worlds? Or something different? I'm always looking for new and interesting educational insect/spider videos that I can use in the classroom. Thanks!

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
While I am against animal sport fighting, these beetles, like tarantulas, are not only obligate carnivores but require live prey.
I'd actually argue against that, most if not all carabid beetles are perfectly happy to accept prekilled prey and even non- insect protein sources such as dry dog food. Tarantulas also eat dead insects.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I'd actually argue against that, most if not all carabid beetles are perfectly happy to accept prekilled prey and even non- insect protein sources such as dry dog food. Tarantulas also eat dead insects.
Are you arguing that live insects should not be fed to tarantulas? I'm not trying to start a fight, that's just a position I've never come across before.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Are you arguing that live insects should not be fed to tarantulas? I'm not trying to start a fight, that's just a position I've never come across before.
No, that's not what @Salmonsaladsandwich is saying. Many adult t's will not accept prekilled. They do make a valid point on the Carabids though. However, I doubt Pasimachus could sustain itself on a diet of pure dog/cat food. Prekilled crickets are another story.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Are you arguing that live insects should not be fed to tarantulas?
Well where's the fun in that? :p

I'm not arguing any position, I'm just mentioning that it isn't technically true that predatory invertebrates always need live food. Even the pickiest species can often be fooled with a barbecue skewer and little bit of twitching. I had a mantis with disfigured mouthparts that survived to the next molt on a diet of squashed roach guts and milk.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Well where's the fun in that? :p

I'm not arguing any position, I'm just mentioning that it isn't technically true that predatory invertebrates always need live food. Even the pickiest species can often be fooled with a barbecue skewer and little bit of twitching. I had a mantis with disfigured mouthparts that survived to the next molt on a diet of squashed roach guts and milk.
Okay, just checking.