Feeding a Tiger Centipede to a Warrior Beetle

Xenodamus

Arachnopeon
I'm not against a knocked out mouse being envenomated. I don't worry about mice suffering when fed to snakes either. I just worry about harm being caused to my snake. So I feed prekilled. Snakes kill mice. Violently. Inverts do too, on occasion. That's just nature. Nothing wrong with that. But I won't risk injury to my pet if I don't have to. Nature FTW. But putting a dangerous(to them) mammal in a confined space with them, and "hoping" that they can kill it before it does them, is just pointless.

basin79

ArachnoGod
We'll agree to dis
I'm not against a knocked out mouse being envenomated. I don't worry about mice suffering when fed to snakes either. I just worry about harm being caused to my snake. So I feed prekilled. Snakes kill mice. Violently. Inverts do too, on occasion. That's just nature. Nothing wrong with that. But I won't risk injury to my pet if I don't have to. Nature FTW. But putting a dangerous(to them) mammal in a confined space with them, and "hoping" that they can kill it before it does them, is just pointless.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I personally don't see anything natural about placing a live rodent in a confined area that has no way of escaping death.

Anyway a horrible video of a beautiful pede and stunning beetle.

I do miss my ground beetles. Phenomenal little predators.

Xenodamus

Arachnopeon
I love Tiger beetles, I wish the African species were more readily avaliable to us here in the U.S. (P.S. there's nothing natural about placing a live rodent in a confined space, with no way of escaping death, gassing them with CO2 and then flash freezing them either).

basin79

ArachnoGod
I love Tiger beetles, I wish the African species were more readily avaliable to us here in the U.S. (P.S. there's nothing natural about placing a live rodent in a confined space, with no way of escaping death, gassing them with CO2 and then flash freezing them either).
Nope. Definitely not and I wouldn't say it was. I'd personally sooner be gassed than impaled numerous times though.

How come predatory beetles are hard to come by in the US? Are they restricted or something?

Xenodamus

Arachnopeon
I'm honestly not sure, I just know my European buddies almost commonly come across them for sale, and we are limited to much fewer Genera,(mostly U.S. species, and even then, not that often)

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I never typed the video is cruel.
@BobBarley and I were responding more specifically to a post from someone else and the intent was not to attack anyone or be insensitive, but to try to examine things objectively.

I'm a massive hypocrite.

I love pedes. They're a pet to ME not live food. They're also a predator which is also a big deal to ME. So I don't like seeing them getting chewed up. Just like I enjoy eating chicken but would be outraged if someone tried feeding me a bird of prey. They're both a bird. No real difference.
It's just videos like the OP posted are basically "my dad could have your dad". Showing one predator killing another. It's not for anything else apart from some odd form of showing off. Everybody look what my beetle killed, a tiger centipede. It's badass right? Yeah.
I don't think you're a hypocrite and I respect your feelings on the matter. If I viewed the video that way, I would dislike it as well but to me, I saw it more as educational, like a recent series by the BBC showing many aspects of the lives of different arthropods, including a scorpion facing off against a centipede, a scorpion mating dance, a spider that specializes in hunting other spiders, a praying mantis mating even as it was being eaten -- some of it is brutal, disturbing even. Of course, just because it happens in nature, doesn't mean that it should happen in captivity, in part because the whole "captivity" part by definition makes it not the same. What people are comfortable with and feel is right will vary, as the many posts in this thread demonstrate.

How come predatory beetles are hard to come by in the US? Are they restricted or something?
If you mean non-native species, then the answer may be yes, but I'm not sure. I do know that millipede imports are no longer allowed which is stupid when they are not an invasive species (and guess what? those species were introduced long ago, often via horticulture) although I wouldn't get one that never does well in captivity, like the giant Madagascar pill millipedes, but I digress...

As for native species, some are not easy to find or breed, but there are sites that sell them, such as BugsInCyberspace. If you're interested in a species native to Texas, let me know. There are some I see in abundance, depending on the time of year. :)

Last edited:

furball677

Arachnosquire
These beetles are little beasts my captive bred male just tackled a roach about his own size no problem and I have no doubt they handle small centipedes loke this all the time. Mine just clamped down on its head and it was headless a few minutes later lol.
Yes, I've never seen anything beat a warrior beetle.

furball677

Arachnosquire
There is no real scientific evidence that centipedes have the capability to comprehend in that way. Sure they are able to be "tamed", but they aren't at a point where I'd personally call them "intelligent" without some real scientific backing. We could go into a debate over what's cruel and uncruel, but from my perspective, things like this happen in the wild often. An argument could even be made that it's cruel to NOT feed the Pasimachus a centipede, because the Pasimachus would normally come into contact with centipedes in the wild (though I, personally do not agree with that argument either).

He's talking about the recent postings of centipede handlings in the myriapods section. @Mastigoproctus can shed some light on that subject, and I find it very interesting and enlightening.

FYI, I agreed with this post, because it is a beautiful little predator, and it's a shame to see it die, I just wouldn't say this video is cruel. To me it's just a feeding video.
Thanks, I appreciate the understanding.

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
If it was solely for fighting, then I think the centipede would have lived rather than getting eaten.

Xenodamus

Arachnopeon
I don't think it was cruel, I just feel it was unnecessary and came with/caused more risks than rewards. In addition to killing a specimen of a beautiful predatory species that I've owned and enjoyed in the past. If OP cared about their pets, they wouldn't feed them even slightly substantially sized venomous prey.

Xenodamus

Arachnopeon
BTW,(and I don't know how to quote posts properly) Basin- You first said it wasn't "natural", then when I brought up how prekilled rodents are killed, you said-essentially- that it's more "humane" to kill by CO2 than by envenomation......So is it "unnatural", or "more inhumane"? I don't wish to argue, just discern what your original response was suppose to be trying to say.

basin79

ArachnoGod
BTW,(and I don't know how to quote posts properly) Basin- You first said it wasn't "natural", then when I brought up how prekilled rodents are killed, you said-essentially- that it's more "humane" to kill by CO2 than by envenomation......So is it "unnatural", or "more inhumane"? I don't wish to argue, just discern what your original response was suppose to be trying to say.
Not a Scooby Doo regarding the "not natural" quote unless it was about a rodent not being able to escape. Dying by co2 (done properly) is extremely humane. Allowing a pet invert to kill a rodent us inhumane.

It'd be easier if you could multi quote so I know what you're referring to though.

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
what do you mean?
if two spiders fight, one gets eaten. same thing here.
What do you mean? It still gets eaten, does it not? He even states in his description/comments that some of the recordings are feeding videos, unless otherwise.
I don't call it a fight if one side gets does just about nothing to the other side. Say, a T envenomates a cricket after chasing it down for a bit, and the cricket squirms for a bit. Is that really a fight for the cricket? Here, the centipede did not even get a chance to run away, so tell me how this would be a fight in which either side had a fair chance of winning. I highly doubt that the centipede had any chance of doing damage other than biting an antenna or front leg (which are already designed to be powerful as-is), and like @ErinM31 said, don't tell me that centipede of this size would have had a large chance of biting through this type of beetle.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
What do you mean? It still gets eaten, does it not? He even states in his description/comments that some of the recordings are feeding videos, unless otherwise.
I don't call it a fight if one side gets does just about nothing to the other side. Say, a T envenomates a cricket after chasing it down for a bit, and the cricket squirms for a bit. Is that really a fight for the cricket? Here, the centipede did not even get a chance to run away, so tell me how this would be a fight in which either side had a fair chance of winning. I highly doubt that the centipede had any chance of doing damage other than biting an antenna or front leg (which are already designed to be powerful as-is), and like @ErinM31 said, don't tell me that centipede of this size would have had a large chance of biting through this type of beetle.
nvrmind, thanks for clarifying.