Feeding a Mama Scorpion

InvertebrateRyan

Arachnopeon
Hello!
I have a ‎Paruroctonus silvestrii female who I acquired gravid a few months back and she just gave birth a few days ago. Everything i've read about scorpions says to feed the females quickly after they give birth, my problem is that she gave birth under about two inches of substrate, completely blocked off. The only reason I know she had the babies is because she made this cave right up against the side of her enclosure. Does the fact that it's still closed off mean she isn't hungry and that I should just leave her alone?

Thanks in advance! I know much more about Spiders than I do about Scorps.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Does the fact that it's still closed off mean she isn't hungry and that I should just leave her alone?
Yes, leave her alone. A closed off hide means 'do not disturb'.
When she does finally come out you can could offer some easy food like a cricket drum stick. In my case mommy doesn't always take it.
If mommy does not eat it doesn't necessarily indicate a problem, in fact it is difficult to let a scorpion starve to death.
Normally their fasting periods can last several months, there won't be any problem if the food arrives a week later.
Try to count the scorplings when she's out so you know how many small cups you should get when they separate from mommy.
Soon scorplings will start to molt so don't let the humidity get too low.
It depends on species, but generally it takes 1-2 weeks before the babies start to molt and leave mother's backside.
Any scorpling that is not on mommy's back is potentially food for mommy, so you need to catch and separate any scorplings that wandered off.
Keep a close eye on it in the coming 2 weeks and keep us posted if you can.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
if you disturb her while she's blocked herself off, she may become stressed and eat her babies.

InvertebrateRyan

Arachnopeon
Update! She and the babies are still closed off in their cave, but they all look healthy, and I none seem to have been eaten. I'm just waiting not for them to come off her back and then I'll separate them.