Feeding a anole to a G. rosea...Safe?

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This girl I work with gave me three anoles.... She just couldn't afford to feed them as she has alot of frogs that are her true passion. Anyway I thought sure I'll take them. So now I'm thinking of useing them as feeders. I've read many care sheets and most don't say anything about feeding anoles to a G. rosea. They say it is safe for pinke toes, and many other T's, but don't mention it on G. rosea. So my question to you is . Is it safe? Has anyone here done it? I searched it out but couldn't find the info. I'm planning on getting TTKG but its hard to get here so i'll have to order it. But any info you could give would be of great help.....TY :D

Thanx a mill
Marley

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I've heard of folks feeding these to tarantulas before, so I doubt there should be any problems

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I don't think i'll do that again ! I fed the anole it gave a fight and I just felt bad.Plus its too early for me to tell but it bit my T's palps and front first leg on the right side . The T made a noise when this happened all most like clicking noise.I don't see damage but I didn't think the anole would be such a fighter.My T is munching away.I just hope its injury free.I'll stick to inverts from now on though.It scared me too much for comfort.I thought my T was gonna be anole food for a second. ** wipes sweat from forehead**........:8o

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I should think that a G. rosea would have no problem with an anole. I use them as feeders frequently and they always try to nip at the T, but don't have much for teeth.

What's the size difference here?

Jim B.

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok thankfully it is ok its doing its dance now.And has it's fangs in the anole's throat.It's useing the palps and leg......It gave me a big scare though.....

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i use anoles as as feeder food... never had any problems (knock on wood) -- some try to turn around and nip, but as previously stated, they don't don't do any damage...

great T food :)
i have NO problem feeding them either.. crickets.. mice..roaches..anoles..crix..moths...

it's all the same to me.

good luck
peace
dave

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The T is about 4" the anole is about normal I guess adult size maybe a little smaller.....

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I knew they didn't have teeth. But was worried if the jaw presure could hurt the T or,crush the exoskeleton.

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Glad to hear she's dancing away ;) Only problem now is she'll always want them :}

Jim B.

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I guess becuase im a noob.It just freaked me out.It was wild to watch my G. rosea leap at it so fast though.Never moves that fast with crickets .It just waits for crickets to walk into it mouth.

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i am considering feeding my T an anol, how long does it take them to finish it off usally?

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Not really sure, but it wasn't very long and it didn't smell near as bad as a mouse did in the morning :8o

Of course all that was left was a tail.

Jim B.

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Palespider
Not really sure, but it wasn't very long and it didn't smell near as bad as a mouse did in the morning :8o

Of course all that was left was a tail.

Jim B.
LOL@The T just leaving the tail, thats amusing to me for some reason, when i used to feed my a.avic pinkys it used to eat the head and leave the rest if the body and move it right in the center of the cage so i would see it and take it out...must of had a taste for heads huh

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by atmosphere
I knew they didn't have teeth. But was worried if the jaw presure could hurt the T or,crush the exoskeleton.
Yes, as a matter of fact they can. Chris Barton told me about one of his T's being injured by an anole, and since then I've been nervous about using them as feeders.

Joy

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well Joy that is enough to make me not wanna do it again.I wonder if someone were to take the time and, lodge maybe a thick spaghetti noodle of some sort in the anoles mouth.Then that would take away the harm factor.But that seems cruel and too much work to me when many other harmless feeders are available....

Sean Well look at the times on my posts.It's still munching away.......

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Well I don't think i'll do that again ! I fed the anole it gave a fight and I just felt bad.Plus its too early for me to tell but it bit my T's palps and front first leg on the right side . The T made a noise when this happened all most like clicking noise.I don't see damage but I didn't think the anole would be such a fighter.My T is munching away.I just hope its injury free.I'll stick to inverts from now on though.It scared me too much for comfort.I thought my T was gonna be anole food for a second. ** wipes sweat from forehead**........:8o
I don't think I would have even tried. If she was raising them as pets, did she have any idea you were taking them as potential feeders to your tarantulas?

Have you ever been bitten by an anole? They have TEEETTTHHH and the like to hang on!! ;)

Wysi

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by WYSIWYG
I don't think I would have even tried. If she was raising them as pets, did she have any idea you were taking them as potential feeders to your tarantulas?

Have you ever been bitten by an anole? They have TEEETTTHHH and the like to hang on!! ;)

Wysi
Yea she knew they might be food.But she got them for free as well.She just like I said couldn't afford to feed them.Funny thing my wife is pissed because she thinks the anoles are cute.I only fed a green I'm keeping the last two well my wife is :D . They are the cloud forrest anoles. I have not been bitten by a anole but,I have been bit by many local skinks and a juvie iguana once.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Yea she knew they might be food.But she got them for free as well.She just like I said couldn't afford to feed them.Funny thing my wife is pissed because she thinks the anoles are cute.I only fed a green I'm keeping the last two well my wife is :D . They are the cloud forrest anoles. I have not been bitten by a anole but,I have been bit by many local skinks and a juvie iguana once.
Well, I'm glad your wife saved the other two. :)

As far as "teeth" maybe they don't have them by definition,
but they do like to clamp down and hang on. I've had the
pleasure of being bitten many times in my younger years as I use to enjoy searching for them at my aunts' houses and catching them. :)

Wysi

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I guess there's a little risk of everything. Mice can kill your T's with one good bite, and even crickets bite back. I've been bitten before by a little medium cricket. It actually hurt......a little anyways :D

And what are 'cloud forrest anoles'? I fed mine house anoles. Not sure if they are different.

Jim B.

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well there brownish with diamond shape markings down there back.....Thats the best discription I can give..yea I agree everything is a risk in the wild they have no choice but to eat anything they think they can handle. But that being said they have adapted for mistakes .Thats why they can regenerate legs and such.There probably not as fragile as many of us think they are.But there not undestructable either.