Feeding a 1" A. Versicolor

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey! A week ago, I got a 1.5" A. Versicolor named Goblin, and I was having trouble getting her/him to eat until yesterday. I have it in a small, vertical fish tank with lots of holes in the lid and the sides, and a branch and half coconut hide. I have put little crickets in the cage several times, and nothing happened to them. Well, I took Goblin out yesterday and put it on the floor, and let a small cricket go next to it. Gobliln grabbed that thing up so ridiculously quick....

So, my question is: Do I need to put Goblin into a smaller cage so that it can see the prey? I dont want it to starve just because the terrarium is too big or has too much crap in it.

Last edited:

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would suggest putting it in a large vial for now. I dont have scale on that thing, but it looks too big. They can indeed overlook prey in larger tanks, and it can be a problem for a hungry prey item to be in the tank when the tarantula molts. Also if it dies, it can promote fungus and other gross stuff.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is about 9-10" tall....but I think you're right.

So, where do you get a good sized vial for a sling? When can they go in their bigger houses?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is about 9-10" tall....but I think you're right.

So, where do you get a good sized vial for a sling? When can they go in their bigger houses?
I hate using vials because they only have so much room in them...I have .5 inch slings ( one is a Brachypelma emilia sling the other is a Lasiodora parahybana sling) that I house in the flukers dry cricket feed jars and this seems to work just fine.... also one of my versicolors is in a small critterkeeper its also one inch but this only works because its abdomen is to big now to squeeze through anything...Before it got this big i kept it in a jar..