Feeding 1/2" G. aureostriata

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm looking to get a 1/2" Grammostola aureostriata from Jansen Exotics here shortly but am worried about the size. This would be the first T I've raised from this small and food source concerns me. I have a tank that at any given time has 500-1000 crickets, just the selection of the pin heads is limited sometimes. I've read everything from giving them a meal worm dish to crunching up regular crickets, would any of this actually work? If not any other methods of feeding if my pin heads supply runs out unexpected?

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can give it an adult cricket leg or 2 adult cricket legs, alternatively you can try crushing the cricket in quarters and giving it a piece or 2, make sure you do cleanup quickly after you try the 2nd alternative, don't want to leave exposed cricket internal remains for too long, the shells are not so bad to worry about just the gutsy liquidy parts...sorry for my graphicness..{D I got a 2inch or so G aureostriata thats feeding on 2 medium crickets as we speak, it gets feed that every week. Looks like it might make make a bolus, ill do cage maintenance in the next 3-4 hours or after i see it's done, best wishes on yours! Enjoy it! :clap:

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
for my 1/2" slings I cut a lg cricket in half and put it in with them for two days then take it out and some times change the dirt I have in there with them so there is less chance of mold.
scott

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Freeze or otherwise kill a regular cricket. Put the dead cricket in there. If the sling is hungry, it will go sit on that cricket and happily eat as much of it as it possibly can. And if it can't finish the whole thing, all you have to do is pick up the gnawed-on carcass with tweezers. :)

It sure beats trying to recapture pinheads when your sling turns out to be in premolt and you don't want live crickets eating your baby.

I've raised my own G. aureo on frozen regular crickets since it was .75-1" or so (now almost 2"--I plan to start feeding live once it stops being willing to scavenge, as keeping dead cricks in the freezer is so much easier than making weekly trips for live, hehe), and my L. parahybana since it was half an inch at most. But then, the para was nuts and would sometimes eat an entire cricket that was bigger than its legspan. Don't ask me how THAT worked. :eek:

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Freeze or otherwise kill a regular cricket. Put the dead cricket in there. If the sling is hungry, it will go sit on that cricket and happily eat as much of it as it possibly can. And if it can't finish the whole thing, all you have to do is pick up the gnawed-on carcass with tweezers. :)

It sure beats trying to recapture pinheads when your sling turns out to be in premolt and you don't want live crickets eating your baby.

I've raised my own G. aureo on frozen regular crickets since it was .75-1" or so (now almost 2"--I plan to start feeding live once it stops being willing to scavenge, as keeping dead cricks in the freezer is so much easier than making weekly trips for live, hehe), and my L. parahybana since it was half an inch at most. But then, the para was nuts and would sometimes eat an entire cricket that was bigger than its legspan. Don't ask me how THAT worked. :eek:

I'll make sure to call your L parahybana "The Fridge"...;P {D

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i agree! give it large cricket legs. i feed my 1/4" curved horn cric. legs and it seems to be working fine

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My little G. auro gets beheaded small crix but I really like Spores idea I’m gona have to give that a try…. my little speck refuses to grow….no kidding when they say slow growing :rolleyes: lol.Seems like a good Kodak moment that I cant pass up so here a pic just for the heck of it.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks quite happy and healthy, a great kodak moment! :clap:

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awsome, thanks alot guys. With that concern out the way I'm ready to get my first sling.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awsome, thanks alot guys. With that concern out the way I'm ready to get my first sling.
Best wishes with it, let us know when it comes and how it turns out.i love mine! {D

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll have to remember the frozen cricket thing. When I got my g. aureostriata it was between 1/2" and 3/4", and it was able to take little pinheads with no problem. I no longer can find pinheads, so I usually throw a leg or two in with my g. rosea, who is tiny (1/4" or so)

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Get some small phoenix worms! My 1/2" g. aureostriata loves them. They're just the right size and they're really wiggly (way more than meal worms). I feed them to all my tiny slings.
Phoenix worms also live a really long time. I've had mine for about 4 months and only put in one little piece of potato.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get some small phoenix worms! My 1/2" g. aureostriata loves them. They're just the right size and they're really wiggly (way more than meal worms). I feed them to all my tiny slings.
Phoenix worms also live a really long time. I've had mine for about 4 months and only put in one little piece of potato.
I always thought phoenix worms are good, b/c of really long shelf life and no maintenance, I heard however it's really super high calcium content may not be good for Ts as the issue with Tarantulas and calcium intake keeps revolving in my head...:eek: