Feeders

Marc_C

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a few questions about breeding local (southern ontario) grasshopper and feild cricket species.

1. I was wondering if they need a cooling period for the eggs to hatch or to trick the females into laying their eggs.

2. If they do need a cooling period, would it have to be as long as a normal Canadian winter or could I throw the eggs in the fridge for a week or two?

3. Does anyone have any other ideas of things that I could catch and breed for feeders in Southern Ontario? Even if they are somewhat of a challenge, I don't really mind. Sometimes I feel that the feeders are more interesting then the animals I'm feeding them to.

any and all responses would be appriciated. Thanks

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You could consider a roach colony. Deathhead, False Deathhead and orange spotted roaches are popular feeders.

EDIT: Oop! I just reread and saw you were asking about local insects where you live...still sonsider the roaches anyway. I'm hoping to do it in the near future.

Last edited:

Marc_C

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Right now I do acctually have 4 roach species (b.discoidales, Mad.hissers, surinam roaches and American roaches) along with both small and large meal worms, wax worms, 2 types of snails and isopods.

Im having a lot of fun breeding my own feeders and I just want to get some cricket/grasshopperish things to add to the list. I was thinking about breeding the regular house crix you get at petshops, but I already have a friend who does and I get them for free so I see no real point. If there is anything else you can think of though, let me know.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by marcus-sparkus
Sometimes I feel that the feeders are more interesting then the animals I'm feeding them to.

Heh, yea, I get that feeling a lot as well. (Especially with my Scolopendra cingulata that I get to see once every couple of months....)

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by marcus-sparkus
So no one knows how to breed grasshoppers?
There are many types of grasshoppers, some only need the right tempature and some food to breed. Others take time and need much room to feel at home to breed.

How about search eh?

=D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have VERY limited experience with grasshoppers, but for what it's worth...

If the females have a long thin ovipositor (like a cricket) then providing them with moist sand might do the trick, but if they have a flattend, blade-like oviposititor than the might be one of the types that lay eggis in crevices in bark and wood.

Feeding them will be trickier than crickets, as I imagine most species will require fresh greenery of some type. Many might accept romain lettuce. The few I've tried to keep perished very quickly in poorly ventilated cages. A large screened cage moight be in order.

Wade

Marc_C

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks Wade. Any ideas on the cooling period though? This is kinda where I'm getting confused. Maybe you can suggest some reading to me?
Marc

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm thinking that these insects have more than one generation per season, so they probably don't need the cooling, but if you're not having any luck getting eggs to hatch, it might be worth trying. A couple days in the fridge might be enough.

I recently bought a book called "Encyclopedea of Terrarium" by a Dutch author (translated to english) that has a big section on rearing insects, including grasshoppers. It might be worth seeking out. It's written by Eugene Bruins and is published by Rebo Productions.

Wade

Marc_C

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks! I will look for that book on my next trip to the bookstore.
Marc

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You might have to order it from a specialized dealer. I got it from a book dealer at a reptile show.

Wade