feeders!

Zack rehn

Arachnopeon
Not to worried about this but I recently picked up some feeders and there a bit larger then what I normally give I know that I you usually give them a roach/cricket that’s about as long as there abdomen but I just wanted to make sure that they’re not to big, here’s some pics

Attachments

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
It's a little difficult to measure them against each other but I'd bet my dog's tail on the spider.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
alright, also have you had any experienced where a roach has bit a tarantula?, just curious
I have not.
I mostly feed runners but I've thrown some pretty decent sized dubias and hissers to spiders i thought could take them and though they weren't incapacitated as quickly as one might like to see, the spiders were not injured.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
How big are they? I can't make out a common point of reference to size anything.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Couldn't say about roaches specifically, but I have misjudged feeder size a few times with crickets and my little Avic sling still takes them down in about five seconds flat. Even when I accidentally grab a feeder almost the same size as the spider...
PXL_20220803_005732309.jpg
PXL_20220803_012416661.jpg

Catching bugs is kinda what they are built for. 😂

UndertowINC

Arachnopeon
Couldn't say about roaches specifically, but I have misjudged feeder size a few times with crickets and my little Avic sling still takes them down in about five seconds flat. Even when I accidentally grab a feeder almost the same size as the spider...
View attachment 425793
View attachment 425794

Catching bugs is kinda what they are built for. 😂
It's also remarkable exactly how much of those bugs little slings can put down.

I had to give one a mealworm that was bigger than ideal, a bit longer than her body, but not super chunky. Pre killed it , dropped it on the edge of her web, and figured I'd likely just have to clean out the remnants after she ate what she wanted.

Nope! No sign of a mealworm ever existing remained. I was kinda floored every time I walked past to just see it getting smaller and smaller until she eventually wandered back into her main hammock and it was gone.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
It's also remarkable exactly how much of those bugs little slings can put down.
Agreed. I have never had to remove a partially eaten feeder -- it devoured that entire cricket in less than 6 hours. Only times I've removed any food was when the feeder was still alive the next day (because I wasn't sure about premolt and offered just in case.)

My Avic and versi are both pigs 🤣 they will happily eat their body weight in crickets on a weekly basis if I let them.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
You can try it, but be sure to crush the dubia's head.
Don't forget to crush the head.
As long as the head is crushed there shouldn't be any danger to the spider, and if the spider thinks it's too big it won't attack it.

Did I mention crush the head?

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
My 3 inch A. geniculata brutally takes out large adult B. lateralis roaches with little to no effort, but that's a genic.

Plus that porker eats them faster than my adult T's do.

Zack rehn

Arachnopeon
feeding went well! i didnt crush the head however she still caught it right when it hit the ground, ill try to crush the head next time it just makes me a bit squimish cause these guys squeak-

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
feeding went well! i didnt crush the head however she still caught it right when it hit the ground, ill try to crush the head next time it just makes me a bit squimish cause these guys squeak-
What are you crushing the head of that squeaks?

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
What are you crushing the head of that squeaks?
I don't know if that's just the sound of the roaches' feet scratch against the plastic container, but when I catch dubia roaches from my colony into a small plastic container to transfer them to my tarantula room they kinda make weird squeaking(?) noises sometimes.

UndertowINC

Arachnopeon
I don't know if that's just the sound of the roaches' feet scratch against the plastic container, but when I catch dubia roaches from my colony into a small plastic container to transfer them to my tarantula room they kinda make weird squeaking(?) noises sometimes.
Yeah, that's likely their feet on the plastic. I stopped using a little plastic souffle cup to put lateralis roaches in for feeding because it kinda bothered me. When they were grabbed they'd (obviously) start trying to scramble free and the little scratchy squeak of feet on the side of the cup would bother me a bit since it does resemble panicked/pained squeaking.

I can deal with pre killing prey, as a mercy to them if nothing else, but am ultimately a big softie. I just had to start putting them in a more solid container where it wouldn't happen.

Chris73G

Arachnopeon
When i bought my first T (T. albo) the seller gave me two big locusts as "starter pack" and said that the T would eat them, no problem. After letting the T settle in in her new enclosure for two days i decided to feed her and when holding the locust with the tongs outside the enclosure and having a direct comparison i thought "Uh, really? That locust is as big as the t´s body (carapace and abdomen together)" and was a bit sceptical. I shouldn´t have been, the albo literally ripped that big locust out of the tongs before it even touched the surface.

Jaycooks1

Arachnopeon
When i brought my Avic home I only had large crickets for my Leos. I put one in the enclosure anyway and next time i walked by she was walking across the glass with a cricket the same size as her in her jaws.