Feeders

ToBeAnnounced

Arachnopeon
I am looking for a alternative feeder for my tarantulas. I currently use crickets but they're somewhat annoying. They die a lot and smell but im sure that happens with all of the feeders. I live in florida so red runners are illegal which would have been my choice and so are Dubia roaches. I do not want discoid roaches since they have a hard like shell to them. I also do not want mealworms, maybe another roach type.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I am looking for a alternative feeder for my tarantulas. I currently use crickets but they're somewhat annoying. They die a lot and smell but im sure that happens with all of the feeders. I live in florida so red runners are illegal which would have been my choice and so are Dubia roaches. I do not want discoid roaches since they have a hard like shell to them. I also do not want mealworms, maybe another roach type.
Why not mealworms or superworms?

Pycnoscelus surinamensis Might fit what your looking for if you can find them. They are soft bodied, parthenogenetic, and super easy to care for.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Surinam roaches make for good feeders. They burrow, though. So heads must be pinched.

ToBeAnnounced

Arachnopeon
Surinam roaches make for good feeders. They burrow, though. So heads must be pinched.
Thanks I did see this online that they burrow, could pinch or tongs feed. But no one local carries these. I'd probably have to purchase from an online seller.

Why not mealworms or superworms?

Pycnoscelus surinamensis Might fit what your looking for if you can find them. They are soft bodied, parthenogenetic, and super easy to care for.
I can breed roaches not the worms to well.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Thanks I did see this online that they burrow, could pinch or tongs feed. But no one local carries these. I'd probably have to purchase from an online seller.
Always crush the heads of these guys.
Keep them in a way that ensures no escape.
They are little cuties who are fun to keep but they'll take over even your house plants if you give them half a chance.

ToBeAnnounced

Arachnopeon
Always crush the heads of these guys.
Keep them in a way that ensures no escape.
They are little cuties who are fun to keep but they'll take over even your house plants if you give them half a chance.
Oh that bad I guess? How of a container for these? Or how big? Also read to use a certain type of grease to keep them from escaping?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I just keep mine in a taller, smooth sterilite bin. No more than an inch or two of substrate with Vaseline smeared at the top of the sides. I've had no escapes. They're easy.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This question is asked a lot- search the forum for a multitude of diverse answers if you haven’t done so.

Mealworms are very nutritious

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Hornworms...I don't think they are illegal/restricted in Florida? DSCN1464.JPG