feeders for tiny amblypygi?

b0gwitch457

Arachnopeon
I'm not new to owning inverts, but I'm new to amblypygi. I just got this phrynus whitei (at least I think that's the species, but please do correct me if I'm wrong). I've been reading and researching for weeks, but I do have one remaining question: what would be the most appropriate feeder insects for this little guy? I'm planning to order some dwarf isopods, but to hold him over until those arrive, will pinhead crickets suffice or would those be too big? I hate crickets as feeders, but I live in Ohio. It's currently freezing, and ordering live feeders (especially having them survive transit) during the winter months is sort of tricky. Of course my hope is that I order the feeders, they arrive live and well, and then it's not an issue. But I need a "just in case" plan.

Screen Shot 2023-02-02 at 12.49.09 PM.png

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
A whitei that size will do fine on small crickets, pinheads not even necessary. They’re great eaters, and will even take prekilled larger prey if you need to make sure they eat.

Your isopods will be a great cleaner crew, but I wouldn’t be using them as dedicated feeders in this case. Usually I only use isopods for the smallest of the small, like pinhead size 2nd instar Phrynus or Charinus.

b0gwitch457

Arachnopeon
A whitei that size will do fine on small crickets, pinheads not even necessary. They’re great eaters, and will even take prekilled larger prey if you need to make sure they eat.

Your isopods will be a great cleaner crew, but I wouldn’t be using them as dedicated feeders in this case. Usually I only use isopods for the smallest of the small, like pinhead size 2nd instar Phrynus or Charinus.
Ahhhh that makes sense. Noted!