Feeder size vs Tarantula size

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I was just wondering if there is any formula for figuring out if a feeder insect, in my case Dubia roaches, is too large for a tarantula. Most of mine are relatively small, the largest is my P. fasciata and that's only about 4" maximum DLS. The rest are 2.75" and under.

I currently have a surplus of adult male dubias however and wanted to feed some off to at least the Pokie. Would these be too large for him/her?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I usually offer prey that is no bigger than the length of the body of the specimen.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
They will eat anything they can overpower, but they will fill up faster/refuse to eat sooner if you give them bigger items.

My 3.75" A. chalcodes just took an adult male dubia earlier, so I'm betting a 4" T could too. CRUNCH!

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Would these be too large for him/her?
Well,put it in the pokies enclousure.If it gives a threat posture,and takes off,maybe its to big.
Don't you think think your T will decide,OH crap,run..or I can handle this sucker.

Possibly,eats half,puts the rest in its water dish,for you to clean up.
After all that's what we are here for.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Well,put it in the pokies enclousure.If it gives a threat posture,and takes off,maybe its to big.
Don't you think think your T will decide,OH crap,run..or I can handle this sucker.

Possibly,eats half,puts the rest in its water dish,for you to clean up.
After all that's what we are here for.
Only problem with that, I think I have a defective Pokie. Doesn't seem the least bit aggressive/defensive. Really seems content to hide out behind the cork bark at the top.

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone! I suppose with 12" tongs, even if the Pokie doesn't take it, I can still remove it easily enough.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I had my slightly under 3" G pulchra take an adult male dubia. She barrel rolled clutching the dubia. Fun to watch

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I keep the prey size smaller than the Tarantula's abdomen, the solution to your surplus MM dubia problem would be to purchase a 6"+ ravenous murder tank.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I keep the prey size smaller than the Tarantula's abdomen, the solution to your surplus MM dubia problem would be to purchase a 6"+ ravenous murder tank.
Believe me... I've been looking. Problems I'm running into are that shipping one to me is just not feasible this time of year and nothing even semi-local matches my wishlist.

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
General rule of thumb is no bigger than the spiders abdomen. Larger T's can easily feed on adult dubia. My Sub adult female A. geniculata regularly eats adult male dubia. Although, genic tend to be eating machines and have seen mine each two with a couple days of each feeding.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I was just wondering if there is any formula for figuring out if a feeder insect, in my case Dubia roaches, is too large for a tarantula. Most of mine are relatively small, the largest is my P. fasciata and that's only about 4" maximum DLS. The rest are 2.75" and under.

I currently have a surplus of adult male dubias however and wanted to feed some off to at least the Pokie. Would these be too large for him/her?
They should be fine, my 3" P. Metallica takes adult dubias with great willingness, I think the wings make them want it even more, for some reason it takes males down faster and harder.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
The rule of thumb I used to see a lot is "no bigger than carapace." But most of my Ts have really impressed me with the size prey they're willing to tackle.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Well, the Pokie in question just laid out a web hammock so it is about to molt. Hopefully I can get the Dubia and Exuvia out without bothering the tarantula. I will try the roach again in about a week and update this. Thanks again everyone!
20170605_155043.jpg

Jones0911

Arachnobaron

Most Ts can overpower/kill food the length of their body, i feed my Juvenile Poecilotheria rufilata adult dubia and they take it down no issues

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Give it a shot. What do you have to lose? The tarantula will appear agitated and either slap at it or run from it, and at least then youll know

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Well, as promised I'm here to update anyone still paying attention to this. After giving the P. fasciata a week after molting I stuck a male dubia in the enclosure. Definitely had no problem taking it. If the position behind the cork wasn't so weird I'd snap a few photos to post. Looks like my MM Dubia issue will have a partial solution :)

Thanks again everyone for the input! Here's a photo of my beautiful beastie out wandering this morning before I left for work.
20170612_181845.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
Well, as promised I'm here to update anyone still paying attention to this. After giving the P. fasciata a week after molting I stuck a male dubia in the enclosure. Definitely had no problem taking it. If the position behind the cork wasn't so weird I'd snap a few photos to post. Looks like my MM Dubia issue will have a partial solution :)
keep in mind that its best to keep mature male dubia numbers low within the colony....i always try to make sure i never have more than 5 at a time, and actually prefer just 2 or 3.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Believe me... I've been looking. Problems I'm running into are that shipping one to me is just not feasible this time of year and nothing even semi-local matches my wishlist.
your profile says youre in Mass....if thats accurrate, you need to find a better seller.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
your profile says youre in Mass....if thats accurrate, you need to find a better seller.
I've been looking for a MF that suits my experience level. There aren't many available here, unless I want to settle for a species I'm not interested in or another Pokie. Which I am holding off until I've gained more experience. As for shipping, my work hours, temperature, and major shipping company issues I've had make online purchases less than desirable.

Yeah, I know the male numbers should be kept low, typically I aim for 3 females per male. This past year was just a big one for males I guess. This will be my 3rd year keeping this colony. Started it for my Geckos and sadly the winter brumation caused their appetites to drop so too many dubias matured.
Thanks for the input though!

cold blood

Staff member
I've been looking for a MF that suits my experience level. There aren't many available here, unless I want to settle for a species I'm not interested in or another Pokie. Which I am holding off until I've gained more experience. As for shipping, my work hours, temperature, and major shipping company issues I've had make online purchases less than desirable.
anyone shipping fed ex has the option to have packages held at the facility for pickup....shop online tonight and you could pick up almost anything in 48 hours at the holding facility at your convenience. Cold packs also help combat heat. Many actually have ts delivered directly to their work as well.

I dont know what shipping issues you refer to, but ts are being safely sent all over this country every single day.....now winter is another story, but even then heat packs and good packing still make shipping an option, you just generally lose the 2 day option.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
anyone shipping fed ex has the option to have packages held at the facility for pickup....shop online tonight and you could pick up almost anything in 48 hours at the holding facility at your convenience. Cold packs also help combat heat. Many actually have ts delivered directly to their work as well.

I dont know what shipping issues you refer to, but ts are being safely sent all over this country every single day.....now winter is another story, but even then heat packs and good packing still make shipping an option, you just generally lose the 2 day option.
Holding at shipping facilities is ok with tarantulas through FedEx? The nearest one is about 45min away from home for me so nothing would be picked up until a Saturday. By the time I clean up, leave work, and cover the kids being home safe, it's close to the closing time of the pick up centers.
Definitely couldn't ship to my work, between co-workers who are not tarantula friendly, even packaged, and the chemicals I work with I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.

While I've never had a T shipped to me, I have had MANY other deliveries left out on my porch where A) the sun beats down from 9am-6pm and B) anybody walking by can and has stolen it or damaged/kicked it. Also have had packages held up at a post office for 3 days because of lazy mail delivery people and argumentative clerks at the post office. UPS just tends to claim delivery happened hours before it actually does. This part of Massachusetts is not exactly ideal lol