Feeder scorpions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
what is the most affordable scorpion species? I am trying to get about maybe 5-6 to use as colony starters (I know it’ll probably take 1-2 years to have babies if I am lucky), and if I can’t use them to breed I just want to feed them to other animals, and yes I will cut off the stinger

Edit: I am sorry guys if this makes me look like a psychopath and/or make you guys sad, I don’t hate scorpions personally, I would actually enjoy keeping them as purely pets, but if I could use them as feeders occasionally that would be awesome as well

Last edited:

winter

Arachnosupporter +
As with most invertebrates, captive bred scorpions will cost more than wild caught specimens; it's generally not advised to use wild caught feeders as one can never be certain what they've been exposed to and what parasites they might be harboring. I can't think of a good reason to use scorpions as feeders; there are far easier and frankly, less dangerous, alternatives to feeding your pets.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Breeding scorpions is one things but I would NEVER advise using them as a feeder. There are so, SO many better alternatives.

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
As with most invertebrates, captive bred scorpions will cost more than wild caught specimens; it's generally not advised to use wild caught feeders as one can never be certain what they've been exposed to and what parasites they might be harboring. I can't think of a good reason to use scorpions as feeders; there are far easier and frankly, less dangerous, alternatives to feeding your pets.
I am opposed to wild caught specimens, I do not wish to hurt the wild life population, and yes there could be mites and other disease/parasites as well

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
what is the most affordable scorpion species? I am trying to get about maybe 5-6 to use as colony starters (I know it’ll probably take 1-2 years to have babies if I am lucky), and if I can’t use them to breed I just want to feed them to other animals, and yes I will cut off the stinger
What?! Scorpions are more expensive than normal standard commonly available feeders plus they can sting. Breed roaches or another common feeder. Plus many species of scorpions are cannibalistic and can't be raised communally especially juveniles it's a no win situation.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Centruroides vittatus, prolific, common, and a decent size. I've heard of people using them as feeders to kick off breeding mastigoproctus, I have yet to try this but I plan on doing so eventually

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
what's wrong with using roaches and crickets etc as feeders? Why scorpions? It requires twice as much effort, money and time to raise scorpions let alone raising them as feeders, they don't breed as quickly as roaches or crickets .

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
Centruroides vittatus, prolific, common, and a decent size. I've heard of people using them as feeders to kick off breeding mastigoproctus, I have yet to try this but I plan on doing so eventually
Thanks for actually helping!

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
what's wrong with using roaches and crickets etc as feeders? Why scorpions? It requires twice as much effort, money and time to raise scorpions let alone raising them as feeders, they don't breed as quickly as roaches or crickets .
Some invertebrates, particularly desert sp like mastigoproctus and I believe slme solifugids(I’ll hve to check again) readily predate on them in the wild...I heard a report about how one person struggled breeding them until they started feeding them wild caught centruroides vittatus. It would make sense if this was the case since basically all vinegaroons are wild caught and although they can feed off of regular feeder roaches, there may be something “missing” from them, so to speak.

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
I'm quite curious, what exactly are you trying to feed?
Mainly Scolopendra heros and possibly solifugid species if I get them in the future, it is quite a scene to see a solifugid preying on a scorpion, I’ll occasionally feed them to scorpions though if supply allows, it won’t be a weekly thing for all my animals, I just feel like I want to give them more variety to mimic their natural habitat

Obviously they have a huge colony of Meercats ?
Lmao

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Hm I’d be a bit wary on feeding scorps to heros. The only reason why vinegaroons would regularly predate on scorps is because they have the thick exoskeleton/armor to prevent them from stinging them, which centipedes lack

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
Hm I’d be a bit wary on feeding scorps to heros. The only reason why vinegaroons would regularly predate on scorps is because they have the thick exoskeleton/armor to prevent them from stinging them, which centipedes lack
Yes, sadly I’ll have to cut off the stingers, but the problem shouldn’t be a problem because centipedes eat scorpions in the wild, they use a technique like the 69 position (bear with me, there is no better analogy) where their modified front legs aka fangs are holding and biting into the lower segment of the scorpion while the scorpion’s stinger is been controlled by the centipede’s mid section with a bunch of legs, and the hind legs are controlling the pinchers of the scorpion

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Some invertebrates, particularly desert sp like mastigoproctus and I believe slme solifugids(I’ll hve to check again) readily predate on them in the wild...I heard a report about how one person struggled breeding them until they started feeding them wild caught centruroides vittatus. It would make sense if this was the case since basically all vinegaroons are wild caught and although they can feed off of regular feeder roaches, there may be something “missing” from them, so to speak.
Very cool, I wasn’t aware that there was any sort of use for scorpions as feeders like that.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I've seen videos where a solifugid would take down couple of scorpions... but haven't seen any videos with centipedes doing that

Last edited:

Alex9104

Arachnosquire
I've seen videos where a solifugid would take down coupe of scorpions... but haven't seen any videos with centipedes doing that
Was it the one with the fat tails? Honestly it breaks my heart to see that but still pretty cool

Status
Not open for further replies.