Feeder question

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Some of my crix have this long...almost stinger looking thing coming out of their rear...what might this be? Is it harmful to my T's? I've avoided feeding these ones till I was sure...I've picked the crix up by them before and they get really angry so I know they're attached <.< lol what are they!?

Last edited by a moderator:

omni

Arachnobaron
:} That's the ovipositor of adult Female crix.. They use it to lay their eggs in the substrate.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's the ovipositor. The female part. The female pushes it into the soil and the eggs slide down.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
oh my....a nono for T cages then.
no, they are still legit as feeders, you just don't want one running around in there for longer than a few hours. i say a few hours because it seems like for the first few hours, they just wander aimlessly. then after that, they get used to the enclosure and start depositing eggs. if the T hasn't touched in after 2 hours, i say remove it and try again the next day.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
no, they are still legit as feeders, you just don't want one running around in there for longer than a few hours. i say a few hours because it seems like for the first few hours, they just wander aimlessly. then after that, they get used to the enclosure and start depositing eggs. if the T hasn't touched in after 2 hours, i say remove it and try again the next day.
ot get sissors and snip it off. Just pretend your name is Lorena

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ot get sissors and snip it off. Just pretend your name is Lorena
That doesn't really work. They'll still lay eggs.

But it's okay, the baby crickets that hatch out are more of an annoyance than anything. They generally die off long before they can cause any harm.