Feeder Insects and Asthma/Allergies

adonis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I tried a few different searchs and non of them came back with what I was looking for.

My tarantula/and other inverts collection is getting larger and feeding is becoming a pain. I am always buying crickets/worms; I would really like to have a feeder collection to make life easier.

But I am concerned with allerigies and asthma to the feeder insects. Currently I don't notice any problems with the crickets or worms. But large numbers of crickets doesn't sound like much fun.

I would like to use roaches but am concerned on their dropping triggering asthma attacks. I have read that the roaches commonly found invading dirty building can cause sever asthma symptoms in people.

My question is, are there any hypo-allergenic feeder inects? Should I be concerened about roaches? And what roach would be best for my T's and asthma?

Thank you.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would like to use roaches but am concerned on their dropping triggering asthma attacks. I have read that the roaches commonly found invading dirty building can cause sever asthma symptoms in people.

It may be the food that these " wild " roaches had fed off from dirty buildings... My suggestion buy a few roaches as feeders. Once you have used them one or twice with limited exposer you should have an idea if it will trigger an attack.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Chitin

i was at my doctor's office recently. The subject of allergies came up as i occassionally get asthma attacks and more often allergies. My doctor was talking about the most common triggers of allergies/asthma and right on the top was chitin - most common exposure from dust mites and roaches.

i too was just thinking about breeding feeders after picking up more crickets from Petco yesterday. However, i hadn't considered the allergy aspect. It didn't even cross my mind until just now reading your thread.

i believe all insects have chitin so don't think you'll find any hypo-allergenic ones. Google chiten & allergies or insect chitin. That will give you tons of information about the link between chitin and asthma/allergies. i think the reason there is an increase of asthma attacks in a dirty building with roaches is because of how much chitin is present. i don't know if it is possible to have a roach or cricket colony outside somewhere. You could try wearing a mask when cleaning/feeding roaches. It might be better for you lungs to have them in an area where they are out in the air. Not sure...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My suggestion buy a few roaches as feeders.
There are some people that are allergic to the droppings of roaches. Not sure what causes it, but if you are one of those allergic to everything kinda people you might want to think of something other then roaches. Or if you do try them wear a mask and gloves while feeding.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if you are going to have problems with allergies it will occur due to roaches before crickets, etc. Even captive bred roaches (versus wild ones) have triggered really bad allergies in people.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have allergies to lobster roaches, its gotten bad enough that I have almost done away with the colony.
My dubia don't seem to be as bad though, so far they haven't caused any thing worse then some sneezing.

recluse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have several different types of roaches. I have no problems with the lobster roaches, but when I start digging around in the hisser bin I start sneezing like crazy. I dont have many allergic reactions to other things that I know of, but the hissers kill me. Now when I open the bin I try not to stand directly over it and hold my breath.

FelanMoira

Arachnopeon
my mealies don't seem to set off my allergies or asthma unless I really kick up the bedding.

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Me and mum keep large amount of crickets, and i have not had my asthma triggered by them. We keep them in the crickets pots in about 30s rather then all together.

However it is hard to say as people have different triggers, some more then others. The only way to see is to try it, and if you get a problem stop.

LMS

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
... My suggestion buy a few roaches as feeders. Once you have used them one or twice with limited exposer you should have an idea if it will trigger an attack.
Can't agree more. I actualy have a worse reaction to the crickets than I do the roaches. It also depends on the severity of your condition. If your asthma/allergies are not under controll right now introduction anything new is a bad idea.

Snakefox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have horrid allergies but I love pets that eat crix "crikets" so this is how I solved my delima.
I know it is expensive but this
http://www.timberlinefisheries.com/cricket display case.htm
has been a life saver for criket keeping, easy to clean and keeps your crix fresh. LOL Fresh....well fresh is a good word they don't smell. Unlike keeping them in a smaller space where you have more of a waste build up and waste makes allergies.

Also never give your crixs to much food, give them enough food that they will complelty consume in about 14 hours. This will help for them not to produce excess waste. I feed veggies and my own specail gut load to my crix. I have found that corn based crix feed and jelly water make them have much more waste, than veggies and fruit. However fruit will start to stink after a few hours so one give them what they will eat up fast. Citris works well.

But I do sweep the floor of the container daily. You can buy a minature hand broom and dust pan at any walmart, this works well. And I wash the container with hot water between shipments of crix. Make sure the container is dry any moisture will kill your crix colony.
hope that helps

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have horrid allergies but I love pets that eat crix "crikets" so this is how I solved my delima.
I know it is expensive but this
http://www.timberlinefisheries.com/cricket display case.htm
has been a life saver for criket keeping, easy to clean and keeps your crix fresh. LOL Fresh....well fresh is a good word they don't smell. Unlike keeping them in a smaller space where you have more of a waste build up and waste makes allergies.

You can get something similar from Armstrong Crickets for a tiny fraction of the cost that timberline charges. I paid only $50 for mine (came with free crickets too lol), but that was a reptile show special rather than through an online order.

http://www.armstrongcrickets.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ACF&Category_Code=PK