Feeder Insect Bargain

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Found this while reading fishing articles. If you don't culture your own food, this is much more economical than trips to the pet store, especially with gas prices :eek: .

50 Meal worms, 25 "mighty" meal worms, 50 wax worms, 25 "super" meal worms. It's called the "Grub Pack"... $6.95

http://www.grubcobait.com/

I think I will try it. :)

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm im not much for feeder worms(dont know why, just never use em) but it looks like a good deal, let us know how it turns out if you order.

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All those worms are good enough as long as the scorpion gets them straight away..................otherwise they have the annoying habit of digging themselves down making it impossible for your scorpion to get them.

Not just that all meal worms whether regular, super or mega sized are not a lot of good after they've pupated (which they'll do quite quickly after digging themselves down in a warm terrarium). Certainly none of my scorpions appreciate them.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
also, at least one type of feeder/bait wormform is made giant by feeding it horomones that prevent it from metamorphing. dunno if they would do anything to spiders but it seems slightly risky to me

something to look into, at any rate, perhaps

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
otherwise they have the annoying habit of digging themselves down making it impossible for your scorpion to get them...
Hello,

Lucian Ross observed several Vaejovis species probing the substrate with their chela, and ended up finding a worm that had burrowed into the sand.

In The Biology of Scorpions it talks about how the setae, and the other "feeling" tools they have, can pick up vibrations in a 15cm radius. It has some more interesting things in their about their setae and stuff. You should read it if you haven't already.

Mike

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've seen an emp eat a buried mealworm that was kinda cool to see. To describe it, it was like a dog digging out an old bone. It's only happen once that I know of. And i say that because the worm dug it self right against the glass so I had a clear view of it.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
those spikes where acctually pupae form of the mealies or supers, thats why they said to fridge them, or else they will get adults and breed themselves.

:D

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In The Biology of Scorpions it talks about how the setae, and the other "feeling" tools they have, can pick up vibrations in a 15cm radius. It has some more interesting things in their about their setae and stuff. You should read it if you haven't already.
Yes i have read that section but i still hold with the fact that worms will dig themselves down making it hard for your scorpions to get to them.

That vaejovis spp eventually got a worm you say, but how many worms had been thrown in beforehand and how many could the scorpion NOT reach.
I know there will allways be exceptions to any rule and it doesn't surprise me one bit that some people have observed scorpions digging worms up, it's just that i find statistical probabilitys far more acurate than exceptions..

Still at the end of the day it's probably a matter of personal preference...and personally i find crickets, roaches, grasshoppers and garden bugs infinitly easier to feed my scorpions with than worms...

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Rigelus said:
All those worms are good enough as long as the scorpion gets them straight away..................otherwise they have the annoying habit of digging themselves down making it impossible for your scorpion to get them...
When I feed my scorps worms I either hold them in front of them with tongs, or I 'snip' right behind the head with a knife or scissors to incapacitate it :)wicked: thats mean {D) and they just wiggle about a little (for a hour or so) then the scorp finds it or I find a dead worm (no burrowing :D)

kahoy said:
...thats why they said to fridge them, or else they will get adults and breed themselves.
Yeah they don't want you to make your own. I bough 1000 super mealies over last weekend at a show for 20$ I plan on breeding them... hopefully.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
also, at least one type of feeder/bait wormform is made giant by feeding it horomones that prevent it from metamorphing. dunno if they would do anything to spiders but it seems slightly risky to me

something to look into, at any rate, perhaps
If you had read the webpage you would see that statement is inaccurate... at least for the company whos link I supplied.
But thank you for voicing an otherwise genuine opinion.

About them digging though, I posted this because I know of a few who perfer mealies over other feeder insects (off the top of my head, the two Mikes, both Thaedion and Iheartmantids.. etc.) If they don't strike your fancy, this thread isn't for you.

Sorry for the double quote, but it maybe nice to also note "super" meal worms, are a differnt species, and aren't hormone fed to become that large.

Last edited:

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I posted this because I know of a few who perfer mealies over other feeder insects (off the top of my head, the two Mikes, both Thaedion and Iheartmantids.. etc.) If they don't strike your fancy, this thread isn't for you.
Somehow I dont see your point when saying this thread isnt for people who perfer crickets and such over mealies. Its still an interesting topic and shoudnt be limited to people who just like meal worms.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry for yet another post. But I wanted to add, if you got the hormone information from wikipedia (I saw it there after searching to find where these guys are native to and a wiki link popped up as usual).... wikipedia isn't the best source of information to use. Often that is user submitted information that is never looked over by qualified individuals. I myself once added a small tid-bit to the scorpion section of wikipedia because it said scorpions are only known to reproduce through mating, which we all no isn't true.

Regardless, you will never see a scientific article or even a professionally written one that would cite wikipedia as a source.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Somehow I dont see your point when saying this thread isnt for people who perfer crickets and such over mealies. Its still an interesting topic and shoudnt be limited to people who just like meal worms.
It wasn't a topic to be discussed but rather just an piece of information that could save people from trips to the pet store and a dollar or two. The original post definently didn't include anything speculatory.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
EAD... you are logging too much...
LOL!!!

why dont we try to pop some info to wiki... so at least we could share some, maybe it would be a good habit to have a 1hour wiki typing.

@EAD
dont just post once on wiki... make it a habit! :D
and i want to see the info that you added to wiki. :)