Feeder food cubes!

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I figured I would share, see if any of you thought it may be a good idea, or if I'm crazy, but last night while feeding the roaches, crickets, and worms, I had a thought.

Now first, I'll say I believe a balanced diet in feeders transfers benefits to the animal eating said feeder, so, you may see some items in the recipe that you don't like or have locally, no worries, just swap out for something else!

Take some...
Carrots
Bok choy / other greens
Apple
(anything else safe for your feeders/ animals you want)

Cut the all up, use a food processor but don't turn it into mush, you're looking for small cubes, place in a bunch of soda/water bottle caps, place in zip lock bags and put in the freezer.

Take a couple out and put them in the fridge, but I was thinking the ones in the freezer would stay good a while, ones in the fridge a couple days, so just take one out and pop it into the feeders enclosure for a quick and easy healthy feeding.

Thoughts?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Doesn't sound like that bad of an idea. I'm always throwing out fresh veggies because I keep crickets in fairly small quantities.

Some fruits and vegetables don't seem to freeze well, so a bit of experimentation might be needed.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Makes me wonder how gelatin cubes would work for them. If the food was minced and mixed into plain jello...... They could pick out the parts they like, right?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I think it would work, but it's completely unneeded for large colonies. It gets to the point that they're never full - I throw all of my fruit/veggie trimmings into my colonies, and it's always gone within a few hours. So, no real need to freeze it.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I think it would work, but it's completely unneeded for large colonies. It gets to the point that they're never full - I throw all of my fruit/veggie trimmings into my colonies, and it's always gone within a few hours. So, no real need to freeze it.
If you keep large colonies, yeah. It wouldnt be worth it, but not all of us do. Plus, what about our pet roaches? Could work great for them.