Feeder Crickets: illegal in RI soon?

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This was originally posted in the Tarantula forum, but as Scorpion owners it concerns you too, so I am posting it here as well.

As you may or may not be aware, Rhode Island is trying to pass HB 5817. If passed, this would inadvertently stop anyone in RI from owning a Tarantula, because it makes the use of "feeder animals" a crime. Yes, that's right, a CRIME.

That includes Crickets and other insects that are routinely used as food for our tarantulas. If the bill passes into law any person who is caught doing this will lose all of their animals. So does this mean RI tarantula owners are supposed to starve their pets to death? Wouldn't they be violating the same act that way?

Oh wait, I know. They have to put their tarantulas in the car, drive on over the nearest state line and feed the animals there. Then bring them back home with a full belly. Repeat as necessary. I guess it is a good thing that RI is a very small state, the pet owners won't have to drive too many hours to reach the state lines. And what about the serious hobbyists who breed tarantulas? Yep, they better buy a large van or a bus for these
frequent state line trips. Just think about the money that all the bait shops popping up on the RI state line will make. That brings up another interesting thought. Will fishing also be illegal in RI? I mean, is using a worm or a cricket to fish any different than feeding it to your tarantula or lizard?

I don't personally live in RI, but if this law passes in RI how long will it be before other states do the same? You can get the details at the PIJAC website using the following link. What can we do to stop this?

http://www.pijac.org/files/public/RIH5817II.03.pdf

Now, don't get me wrong. I am all for the humane treatment of animals. I think people who abuse or neglect their pets are the worst form of scum, and deserve to be punished. There are positive points to this bill, but making it illegal to feed a cricket to a pet that only eats live prey is ridiculous and it only creates new abuse situations. How many people in RI are going to try to get their animals to eat something unsuitable and just let them starve to death?

To contact the RI government officials, please use the following.

Senator Jack Reed
senator_reed@reed.senate.gov

Senator Lincoln D. Chafee
senator_chafee@chafee.senate.gov

U.S. Rep Patrick J. Kennedy
patrick.kennedy@mail.house.gov

U.S. Rep James R. Langevin
james.langevin@mail.house.gov

Let them know that you think that HB 5817 is a bad idea.

A. D. Payne

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That law would be wacky, but impossible to enforce. You might not be able to buy feeder animals in pet shops, but you could grow your own crickets and mice. I have 100 frozen mice in my freezer to feed my pythons, kingsnakes, and rat snakes. I keep a tub of live crickets to feed my tarantulas, frogs, lizards, box turtles, and rough green snakes.

Also, bait shops sell crickets, nightcrawlers, and minnows for fishing bait. If they COULD stop pet shops people will find a way.

What would stop a pet shop from selling crickets and mice as "pets", with a sign that says "Not for feeding other animals"?

The idea behind the law is as stupid as it is unenforceable :confused:

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Indeed, there is always a way to get around it, but I don't like the thought that I would have to stoop to such a level to where I was performing illegal actions in order to feed my pets. That's just my insight on the subject.

adios,
edw. :D

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Even if the law is passed as it is written now, I really don't think they will try to stop the pet stores from selling crickets and mice. I don't think they intend the law to do this in the first place. My concern is that if your neighbor happens to have some clout with the local animal control people, and doesn't like your spiders, they could call in a report of some kind of abuse and when the animal control shows up at your house to investigate, and sees no abuse, they might use this as a way to get you for something. I don't know how many of you watch "animal precenct", but it happens. If they can't get you for what they thought you were doing, they will get you for anything they can.

I just really would like to see the wording of the law changed so that the possibility is eliminated.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
HB 5817

Does anybody have the exact wording of HB 5817? I started out not caring how stupid the laws are in RI, but I just remembered it is in the United States and we should all be vigilant about our freedom. From what I've heard so far it seems riduculous, but I want to know the details!