Feedback? Beginner...start with sling or juvenile, find local seller (PA) or online?

Alldayali

Arachnopeon
I'm just starting, gathered some info about starter t's. So I have a few species in mind. Would buying online compared to at a live expo, or from an individual seller be a huge difference? I'd really like to know the temperament? I'm thinking a juvenile probably to start with. I don't think a sling would be easier. Was thinking Arizona blonde, smithi, or euthulus sp red ( think that's the dwarf Chilean) trying to keep track. Just size and species feedback would help.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Buying from someone in this forum can save you money over many retailers.

Grammostola pulchripes - Best choice in my view for combination of docile temperament, ease of care, availability for purchase in different sizes at nice prices. Mine are sling/juvenile size. This T grows up to 7-8 inches supposedly.

Brachypelma smithi & Brachypelma emelia - Easy on care, very available at a wide variety of sizes at online shops, slightly skittish (which varies with individuals). These grow up to approx. 6 inches I believe. My smithi is docile and 5 inches so far.

Euathlus sp red - Very Docile and adventuresome, very slow grower (requires patience when they are slings), best bought as juvenile or adult female but can be slightly pricey. This is a dwarf T (max 3-3.5").

Eupalaestrus campestratus - Very docile and easy on the care, hard to find as an adult but available as a sling quite often. I only have slings but they grow to approx 5" I believe.

Aphonopelma chalcodes - I don't own this one except in a small sling. It is typically rated as a docile choice, but some have been known to be defensive. It is easy on the care. It is available at the lowest price for juvenile/adults here in the USA, but it may be wild caught (WC) at some shops.

EDIT* I hope I didn't come across like I am a seller. I was just mentioning experience from what I own.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Welcome to the hobby and Arachnoboards!:)

For researching these species it is easier to search them by their scientific names. Aphonopelma chalcodes being the Arizona Blonde, de smithi being the Brachypelma smithi, and your last one was pretty close, the Euathlus sp. Red :)
All three are good beginner species. A.chalcodes and E.sp.Red are really slow growers, so a juvi or adult will be more fun keeping i think. B.smithi is a classic, but some are very hair-flicky.
Check out EulersK video series AraneAid on Youtube, you can find all general care there, and some other nice beginner species.
Good to see someone asking questions first before buying one. :)

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
I would go with a juvenile. These are old enough that you can basically keep them like an adult but in a smaller enclosure, but young enough that you can still watch them grow. They're not as fragile as slings and depending on the species, will be more forgiving for first-timers.

I mostly buy local, but only because one of the bigger T dealers in the US is a mile away from me. Buying local would mean you save on shipping costs, but you might not have great selection. Some of the species recommended nowadays for beginners aren't always the most readily available in local shops, and the ones that are sometimes aren't really the best for beginners (looking at you G. rosea/porteri). So it might be best to shop around first, and if you can't find what you want, don't be afraid to go online to get exactly what you want.

Of the species you list, I only have a sub-adult Aphonopelma chalcodes. Not a bad starter, typically docile, neat coloration, fairly tolerant of beginners. In the wild they live in burrows and it wouldn't surprise me to hear that most chalcodes in captivity are pet holes. Mine, on the other hand, is my most active spider. An escape artist and she seems to like smearing her feces on her enclosure walls. They are also VERY slow growing.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Find yourself an adult female A. chalcodes, you can probably pick one up for around $50. That's one of my favorite beginner species. Hardy as a G. rosea but still active. Just remember, you may not get a docile specimen, so don't bank on that.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm just starting, gathered some info about starter t's. So I have a few species in mind. Would buying online compared to at a live expo, or from an individual seller be a huge difference? I'd really like to know the temperament? I'm thinking a juvenile probably to start with. I don't think a sling would be easier. Was thinking Arizona blonde, smithi, or euthulus sp red ( think that's the dwarf Chilean) trying to keep track. Just size and species feedback would help.
1. Buying at a herp show is always better than buying from online- if you want to know the many reasons, ask.

2. Temperament of a wild animal, in this case a T, cannot be judged accurately in a short span of time before purchase. They are not like dogs, cats, nor even like many species of reptiles (I'm a reptile person as well)

3. The larger the T, the more tolerant of husbandry mistakes they are. Anything that is 3" or larger is pretty resilient generally.

4. Az blonde- glacially slow in growing, excellent starter T, smithi- almost as slow, decent starter, can flick urticating setae, no way to predict if the one you pick will be a flicker or not

E. sp Red, excellent starter T. These will be pricey as they are hard to come by now. A retail (known national T dealers) price for an Adult Female is typically 150-175$ too expensive IMO.

They have an excellent disposition, and almost never ever flick. They are quite slow in movement, have quite the interesting behaviors unlike the other 2 you mentioned.

Probably the best T to get as a starter, an equivalent but larger would be G. pulchripes, aka Chaco Golden Knee, females are larger than the 3 Ts you mentioned.

Here's one of my female E sp Reds, an AF.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Which ever T you decide on pay the extra and get a sexed juvenile female.

Alldayali

Arachnopeon
Ty. The e sp red I really would want to get and yes as a young juvenile... but as mentioned I'm finding it hard to find at that size. But I'll keep searching. Ill wait it out until the expo and see what they may have there but im highly doubting a e sp. Red is going to be available. I will definitely consider the female, not sure if temperaments change with males as they molt. Also was hoping one that has already grown in captivity would be better if I did choose to handle. The knees I do like, although like the typical person it's not my visual favorite. If I'm buying around 2-3 inches for a slow grower like the sp.red or the Arizona then the time I don't mind. But a sling of either sp I wouldn't do just yet. Need more experience let alone feeding something that small. I'd love the sp red ( not giving up yet) but even with the recommendation (sorry) I may go with a smithi, the red knee is not out of the loop but not sure. That's another reason I'd rather see hands on first. Images never do justice to all the coloring.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
@cold blood has some juvenile 2 inch Grammostola pulchripes. They're a fantastic first T.

Alldayali

Arachnopeon
@cold blood has some juvenile 2 inch Grammostola pulchripes. They're a fantastic first T.
I'll add to my list... but not sure if the size will intimidate me. Honestly I'm good with the odd creatures and handling. But other fanning members I have to consider. Its on my list now though.

Alldayali

Arachnopeon
Another question though...I know I check classified here. But anyone know how to find breeder in my area? I've googled but its still a hunt page by page and most seem on the east coast that have a more established web site.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
I'm just starting, gathered some info about starter t's. So I have a few species in mind. Would buying online compared to at a live expo, or from an individual seller be a huge difference?
I purchased my first T (G. pulchripes) at an expo. I did some research beforehand, so I had an idea of what to look for in reputable dealers. This one being my first, being able to see the T and talk to the dealer in-person gave me a lot more confidence in purchasing.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If you are fortunate enough to have expos in your area - I would wait and attend the next one. Not only will you be able to see the tarantula up close, and ask the dealer specific questions about them, but often dealers have really good deals at expos. Even no taxes on a larger individual is a good savings and, of course, you save on shipping costs. Expos usually have great prices on all the other supplies you will need. I attend our expos even if I just have to pick up supplies. It is worth me paying the entrance fee in what I save on substrate, cork bark, and feeders.
There are not that many juvenile/sub-adult/adult Euathlus sp. Red available. I have heard of a couple of people lucking out and finding them, but it is not common. A female of that size can also be very costly.
Also keep an eye open on your local buy/sell website, like Craigslist, because someone might be selling their private collection. I have gotten a number of my tarantulas that way.
Aphonopelma chalcodes is a great choice. So are a dozen others. Grammostola pulchra, Grammostola pulchripes, Eupalaestrus campestratus, and pretty much all of the Brachypelma species.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I'll add to my list... but not sure if the size will intimidate me. Honestly I'm good with the odd creatures and handling. But other fanning members I have to consider. Its on my list now though.
G. pulchripes has been known to grow over 8 inches. That's certainly intimidating.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
E. Sp. red is definitely a great species to start with (there is a good reason why I have two of them). Only drawback to them is their eating habits, they are not the best eaters as they will fast, my adult female stopped eating in late November, they are better eaters than your typical G. Rosea/Porteri. Like with all tarantulas (all life forms in general), individuals have their own personality and habits, my little sling of the same species is a great eater. Their character more than makes up for the negative aspects of this species.

Ok I had better stop because I could be here all night hyping this species

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
G. pulchripes has been known to grow over 8 inches. That's certainly intimidating.
I love my two, and think that they are very appropriate for beginners, but I absolutely agree with you. My girl can be a bit intolerant of me doing maintenance, and has rushed out and slapped at the tongs, and it is intimidating. Most times she is extremely tolerant of my interaction with her, but not always.
And she isn't even full grown.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Another question though...I know I check classified here. But anyone know how to find breeder in my area? I've googled but its still a hunt page by page and most seem on the east coast that have a more established web site.
Net Bug (http://www.net-bug.net/) is in your area. I don't know if their shows or business is very close however. I think it specifies Hamburg, PA as one of their show locations.