Feed before moult

ricneto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you think your T is going to molt soon but still accepting food will you feed as usual or put 1 more cricket in? :}

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I usually offer till they stop feeding or they get too big. If the abdomen is too large it can, from what I've heard cause bad molts. Just be sure you remove crickets not eaten. Mine usually start refusing food about 3 weeks before a molt. Sometimes they will kill it and leave it lay.

ricneto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply!
Do you do that as routine, feed until refusing food or just in this situation?
The abdomen is not too big, I am actually worried of not feeding enough, 2 crickets twice a week. Roughly 2 inch blondi.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply!
Do you do that as routine, feed until refusing food or just in this situation?
The abdomen is not too big, I am actually worried of not feeding enough, 2 crickets twice a week. Roughly 2 inch blondi.
i do aswell,some will eat right up to the molt,if yours is still eating then feed him/her,when they stop,that's the sign of a molt(most likely),never good to really stuff them either. good luck with yours.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Two crickets per week for a 2 inch blondi should be plenty I would think. It would depend on the size of the crickets. If your really worried, just post a photo and I'm sure everyone can give you some feedback. In general, most of my T's will feed up to within a week or two of molting. Depends on the T and how large it is. Some of my slings will eat the day before molting sometimes. My adult A. hentzi won't eat for about 3 weeks before a molt.

ricneto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Two crickets per week for a 2 inch blondi should be plenty I would think. It would depend on the size of the crickets. If your really worried, just post a photo and I'm sure everyone can give you some feedback. In general, most of my T's will feed up to within a week or two of molting. Depends on the T and how large it is. Some of my slings will eat the day before molting sometimes. My adult A. hentzi won't eat for about 3 weeks before a molt.
Thanks.
the problem is that she spends her time inside the burrow :wall: so... no pics:( I have pics of the front legs though) lol
When you feed 2 crickets (adult, 1 inch) would you feed 2 locusts (1.5 inch) or 1?
:confused:

ricneto

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She might be close to 3 inches (about 10 cm, with legs ;) )
sorry still lost in the inches

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am actually worried of not feeding enough, 2 crickets twice a week. Roughly 2 inch blondi.
Like the other person said, only two crickets a week is probably better. You pretty much cannot starve a tarantula, they can go months or even years without food. Don't mistake "instantly pounces on food" as thinking they're starving--they're just instinct-driven predators, if they're not in pre-molt, they attack things. :)