Feed after molt

B.L.

Arachnopeon
My T. Blondi is now half grown more or less and it has been about 16 days since her last molt. She has had no food only water... I think I'm going to try feeding her at this point. And her next molt I will wait say 21 days. Just add a week per molt till it goes up to five weeks of no food after molt. Plenty of water at all times. I've heard it can kill a T to feed them too soon after a molt their fangs need time to harden. Anyway thats my plan what say you? Good idea or bad?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The sure way to know is to drop something in, if she kills in within a few minutes then she is ready to feed again, if she ignores it and or flickes hairs and runs away she needs more time, and you should remove the prey.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've heard it can kill a T to feed them too soon after a molt their fangs need time to harden. Anyway thats my plan what say you? Good idea or bad?
Where did you hear that?:? It wont eat until the fangs are hard anyway

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
with big ones, 2 week is usually enough. huge ones maybe 20 days or so...i usually try feeding my freshly molted adults 12-14 days after the molt. if they don't eat right away i'll remove the prey, and try again in a couple days. if they still don't eat after 3 weeks, i just leave the prey inside. and when i check again the next day, the prey is always reduced to small balls.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And her next molt I will wait say 21 days. Just add a week per molt till it goes up to five weeks of no food after molt. Plenty of water at all times. I've heard it can kill a T to feed them too soon after a molt their fangs need time to harden. Anyway thats my plan what say you? Good idea or bad?
i have never heard or read of having to wait 5 weeks for even the biggest of T's to harden after they molt. i can see some take a little longer than others to fully recover but not 5 weeks for their fangs to harden. i would think you could offer food to any size T after 2 weeks. Just offer one cricket and that way if it isn't ready to eat, you're not stuck chasing down 8 crickets!

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If the fangs are black, it will attack... Check out the fangs, black fangs have hardened and are ready to feed.

B.L.

Arachnopeon
I threw a cricket in yesterday she did a 180 landed on it then turned back around again. Threw another one in today she ate that one too. 15 days was plenty of time.

B.L.

Arachnopeon
Where did you hear that?:? It wont eat until the fangs are hard anyway
I think I read it on another message board. I really like my T. so tend to be overly cautious with everything I do from feeding to caging. T. Blondi's seem to be a little trickier to keep alive especially during molt.