Feats of Strength?

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What is the heaviest object that your T can carry? That is, what's the heaviest prey item that you've fed to your T? I usually don't think of arthropods are extremely strong (which is why my C. crawshayi escaped once :eek: ) but, for example, the obligate burrowers can move tremendous amounts of soil as well as burrow into hard, compacted ground in some cases.

Karen N.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
first time i ever threw a mouse (adult)into my T.blondi's enclosure i was amazed. here i was thinking there would be a struggle, when she nonchalantly walks up, picks up the mouse in her fangs, and just calmly ambles into her burrow mouse kicking the whole way. i liken it to a dog taking a rawhide bone

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
first time i ever threw a mouse (adult)into my T.blondi's enclosure i was amazed. here i was thinking there would be a struggle, when she nonchalantly walks up, picks up the mouse in her fangs, and just calmly ambles into her burrow mouse kicking the whole way. i liken it to a dog taking a rawhide bone
Which is why those things terrify me! LoL Remind me of the face-huggers in Aliens....*shivers*

N.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Ultimate Instar
What is the heaviest object that your T can carry?
Karen N.
Hi Karen,
I've found Selenocosmia crassipes in the wild with rat skeletons in the burrow. This means the spider either attacked and held on to the rat or found it somewhere near the burrow dead and managed to drag it back to the burrow. The rat would have been at least 5 times the weight of the spider. These are big, native rats, about the size of water rats.

I've seen footage of Theraphosa catching, killing and eating a ferdelance snake.

Cheers,
Steve

T

Tarantula

My L parahybana when it was a juvenile completely mangled a live adult mouse. Then it dragged it all over the place.

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
On the Discovery channel.. They showed.. I think it was an Aphonopelma Seemani take down a medium sized snake.. I believe a type of rattle snake.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Raveness
On the Discovery channel.. They showed.. I think it was an Aphonopelma Seemani take down a medium sized snake.. I believe a type of rattle snake.
I'll keep that in mind next time I feed mine (too late this time, as I just watched her maul 2 crickets about 20 min. ago). Still wanting to try the pinky thing...

Discovery Channel f'n rules! Animal Planet's pretty cool, too. I have no great stories of my Ts, but I have seen some wicked stuff on Disc. Did they ever find a way to recreate spider silk in a lab? I know there was a lot of talk about it, due to its utterly ridiculous strength.

N.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Raveness
I saw that show... it was a L. Parahybana that took down a fer-de-lance snake (closely related to rattlers)

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep.. that was the one :)

Originally posted by Chris
I saw that show... it was a L. Parahybana that took down a fer-de-lance snake (closely related to rattlers)

Cowshark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Did they ever find a way to recreate spider silk in a lab? I know there was a lot of talk about it, due to its utterly ridiculous strength.
Well, there has been work with genetically altering goats to produce the silk making protein, but it hasn't been perfected yet

Man, it would be so cool when it does get perfected. I'd love to wear a dress made of spider silk. =D

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Who's Pennywise? I'm assuming you're not talking about that clown in "It" right?

Atrax

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by anthony2561
I fed a dog to pennywise one time=D
LOL Dude... I haven't once read one of your posts without thinking to myself "What a wierdo"

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Cowshark
Well, there has been work with genetically altering goats to produce the silk making protein, but it hasn't been perfected yet

Man, it would be so cool when it does get perfected. I'd love to wear a dress made of spider silk. =D
I like the way you think...Maybe it'll become bigger than leather!

N.