Feats of Strength?

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
457
What is the heaviest object that your T can carry? That is, what's the heaviest prey item that you've fed to your T? I usually don't think of arthropods are extremely strong (which is why my C. crawshayi escaped once :eek: ) but, for example, the obligate burrowers can move tremendous amounts of soil as well as burrow into hard, compacted ground in some cases.

Karen N.
 

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 10, 2002
Messages
624
first time i ever threw a mouse (adult)into my T.blondi's enclosure i was amazed. here i was thinking there would be a struggle, when she nonchalantly walks up, picks up the mouse in her fangs, and just calmly ambles into her burrow mouse kicking the whole way. i liken it to a dog taking a rawhide bone
 

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 1, 2003
Messages
663
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
first time i ever threw a mouse (adult)into my T.blondi's enclosure i was amazed. here i was thinking there would be a struggle, when she nonchalantly walks up, picks up the mouse in her fangs, and just calmly ambles into her burrow mouse kicking the whole way. i liken it to a dog taking a rawhide bone
Which is why those things terrify me! LoL Remind me of the face-huggers in Aliens....*shivers*

N.
 

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 30, 2002
Messages
1,777
Originally posted by Ultimate Instar
What is the heaviest object that your T can carry?
Karen N.
Hi Karen,
I've found Selenocosmia crassipes in the wild with rat skeletons in the burrow. This means the spider either attacked and held on to the rat or found it somewhere near the burrow dead and managed to drag it back to the burrow. The rat would have been at least 5 times the weight of the spider. These are big, native rats, about the size of water rats.

I've seen footage of Theraphosa catching, killing and eating a ferdelance snake.

Cheers,
Steve
 
T

Tarantula

Guest
My L parahybana when it was a juvenile completely mangled a live adult mouse. Then it dragged it all over the place.
 

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 2, 2002
Messages
449
On the Discovery channel.. They showed.. I think it was an Aphonopelma Seemani take down a medium sized snake.. I believe a type of rattle snake.
 

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 1, 2003
Messages
663
Originally posted by Raveness
On the Discovery channel.. They showed.. I think it was an Aphonopelma Seemani take down a medium sized snake.. I believe a type of rattle snake.
I'll keep that in mind next time I feed mine (too late this time, as I just watched her maul 2 crickets about 20 min. ago). Still wanting to try the pinky thing...

Discovery Channel f'n rules! Animal Planet's pretty cool, too. I have no great stories of my Ts, but I have seen some wicked stuff on Disc. Did they ever find a way to recreate spider silk in a lab? I know there was a lot of talk about it, due to its utterly ridiculous strength.

N.
 

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 9, 2002
Messages
284
Originally posted by Raveness
On the Discovery channel.. They showed.. I think it was an Aphonopelma Seemani take down a medium sized snake.. I believe a type of rattle snake.
I saw that show... it was a L. Parahybana that took down a fer-de-lance snake (closely related to rattlers)
 

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 2, 2002
Messages
449
Yep.. that was the one :)

Originally posted by Chris
I saw that show... it was a L. Parahybana that took down a fer-de-lance snake (closely related to rattlers)
 

Cowshark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 25, 2002
Messages
68
Did they ever find a way to recreate spider silk in a lab? I know there was a lot of talk about it, due to its utterly ridiculous strength.
Well, there has been work with genetically altering goats to produce the silk making protein, but it hasn't been perfected yet

Man, it would be so cool when it does get perfected. I'd love to wear a dress made of spider silk. =D
 

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 19, 2002
Messages
1,885
Who's Pennywise? I'm assuming you're not talking about that clown in "It" right?

Atrax
 

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 9, 2002
Messages
284
Originally posted by anthony2561
I fed a dog to pennywise one time=D
LOL Dude... I haven't once read one of your posts without thinking to myself "What a wierdo"
 

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 1, 2003
Messages
663
Originally posted by Cowshark
Well, there has been work with genetically altering goats to produce the silk making protein, but it hasn't been perfected yet

Man, it would be so cool when it does get perfected. I'd love to wear a dress made of spider silk. =D
I like the way you think...Maybe it'll become bigger than leather!

N.
 
Top