favorite type of tarantula?

salsalover

Arachnopeon
what is your favorite type of tarantula? feel free to post pics if you want i would love to see you guy's idea of what beautiful is :D

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My type of tarantulas are the Theraphosinae, ground living American birdspiders.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
You'll find tons of threads like this in the past. We all tend to collect those we think are the most vibrant, unusual, largest, smallest... etc.

I have 61 Ts. I love the colors on my H. lividums, even though they are pet holes. I love my P. irminia(s), all four of them, though I rarely see them. I adore my little G. pulchra and A. moderatum because they love to sit quietly on my hand. And I love Top Shelf, my A. metallica, not for his species, but for his temperament - a nearly 7" mature male that will sit quietly on my wrist for hours at a time.

Do I love the bright colors - you bet! Do I love the big display Ts - yes. But I equally adored my little H. incei, or my firey P. pulchar (both lost in the Blizzard of Jan /2011).

Will I stop at 60+? Heck no...

Marga

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What do you mean by "type" Theraphosinae, Aviculariinae, tree dwelling, tunnel digger, species etc? Brachypelma for an example is not a type, its a genus:)

Last edited:

Upjohn252

Arachnopeon
Im in love with my pulchras,, in the pic is Tabitha she just over "1.25 inches long, and still has "sling" coloration, but the camera flash reveals a more adult jet black coloration, isnt she adorable?

Attachments

webbedone

Arachnobaron
I am seconding Pulchra's something about black velvet and attitude of "eh what ever so you are touching me i dont care" that gets me going

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
any Cyriocomus

any cyriocosmus! My h.incei im 50/50 on lol. He's a jet engine with legs and i fret every time I got to work with him. ;P
but im digging Grammostola pulchra too..one my "too get" list now next to green bottle blue and mexican bloodleg.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
What do you mean by "type" Theraphosinae, Aviculariinae, tree dwelling, tunnel digger, species etc? Brachypelmafor an example is not a type, its a genus:)
Your right, and I agree. For the most part my favorite "type" are the large, central, south, american, hair kicking, beautiful, "bird eating" spiders.

Later, Tom

DflyBri

Arachnopeon
Somewhat new to the hobby, but have been doing TONS of research and have acquired 5 genus thus far, with several more on the immediate waiting list.

So far, my fave is definitely my A. geniculata. But I'm hoping to get a few C. elegans within the next few weeks and have a feeling those will be up there for me too. :)

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
Got the kids a B. smithi for christmas - beautiful creature. Fell in love with the idea of having a T but didn't want to replicate what I had gotten them so I settled on a G. pulchra. It is about 1 inch and I have no idea what the sex is. Everyone at the office is facinated by it and we are all excited to see how it grows.

As for the B. smithi, we think it is a female - super sweet!