Favorite poecilotheria?

Ancistrus

Arachnopeon
What are some of people's Favorite poecilotheria? Currently thinking of getting my next pokie.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Subfusca lowland is my favourite looks wise. Saying that all pokies are stunners.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Mah... I don't like those 'sissy' T's. A powerful venom is the only thing they have, there's by far better temperament/attitude (for my standards) NW arboreals (and OW's, like females L.nigerrimum) better. But I say, just for answer, a 0.1 P.regalis or 0.1 P.ornata (a bit manly, at least).

Needless to say a P.irminia in her wrong day is 100% more fun if compared. 'Pokies' are in a disgusting way overestimated. Their "bastard" son of Trinidad, P.cambridgei, are by far... Christ, more funny.

A stunning color isn't everything IMO.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Mah... I don't like those 'sissy' T's. A powerful venom is the only thing they have, there's by far better temperament/attitude (for my standards) NW arboreals (and OW's, like females L.nigerrimum) better. But I say, just for answer, a 0.1 P.regalis or 0.1 P.ornata (a bit manly, at least).

Needless to say a P.irminia in her wrong day is 100% more fun if compared. 'Pokies' are in a disgusting way overestimated. Their "bastard" son of Trinidad, P.cambridgei, are by far... Christ, more funny.

But look.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak

Bah humbug! I love my P. metallica! He's a spaz, sure, but always up to something interesting and out in the open quite often. Metallica is the only member of the genus I've kept, so it's the only one I feel comfortable recommending. Personally, in terms of looks, I think P. regalis and P. rufilata are the real stars of the genus. Only reason I started with the metallica is because I found it for a very good deal.

I do agree that Psalmos are a great substitute though. My P. irminia is only about 1.5" right now so I see it pretty often, but I've read that after the sling stage they pretty much become ghosts.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Bah humbug! I love my P. metallica! He's a spaz, sure, but always up to something interesting and out in the open quite often. Metallica is the only member of the genus I've kept, so it's the only one I feel comfortable recommending. Personally, in terms of looks, I think P. regalis and P. rufilata are the real stars of the genus. Only reason I started with the metallica is because I found it for a very good deal.

I do agree that Psalmos are a great substitute though. My P. irminia is only about 1.5" right now so I see it pretty often, but I've read that after the sling stage they pretty much become ghosts.
No, I keep saying that sorts of statements about 'Pokies' (that's what I think based about the experience I've had) just like I know that one day I will def. buy one, ah ah :-s

basin79

ArachnoGod
81BDA9BD-2C0B-42FC-AFDE-BE4042DA37F3.JPG My Tigrinawesseli girl is looking to have a fair bit of purple on her now. I caught a glimpse of her at the bottom of her tube. Can't wait to catch her out. Not sure when that will be as she's thoroughly webbed herself in now.

Last edited:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I got my first Pokie last May, a 6" female P regalis. She was the one. I read how they liked to be out and about. They were easier to deal than other Pokies with and even though I was newer, this was my actual entry into OW T's. I was going to make it work.
It worked, but not in the way I planned. She sat out and showed herself off for about 30 hours. Then off to a cork tube where she has remained every day since. She has been super easy to work with. I don't need forceps or anything.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
P. ornata for me. for some reason shes always been my favorite T ever. Large, colorful, and has definitely grown faster than any other T Ive had.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Is there a pokie that is consistently purple? They all seem fairly variable when it comes to color from the pics I've seen.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My favorite Pokie is obviously the one that I own! I have a P. vittata that I've raised from a sling. To be honest, I don't really get to see it very often. Usually it's hiding behind a dirt curtain - unless I sneak in quietly, late at night. Still, it's like having kids - you always love your own more than somebody else's, even when they're being a pain in the butt! :rolleyes:

That said, I can't help but admire the colors of P. metallica. If I were to get another Pokie, that might be the one.

Ancistrus

Arachnopeon
I just saw a P.regalis for $99.99, size is about 5". Is this a good buy? Comes with a nice enclosure. 6x12x6". Unknown sex. I could not get a good look because of all the webbing and dirt on the glass.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P.metallica. I used to not be the biggest fan of them and thought they were overrated until I saw one in person & actually got one for myself. This girl used to be very skittish and reclusive but since she hit six inches she's out all the time and quickly became one of my favourites.

saphira5.jpg

saphira7.jpg

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just saw a P.regalis for $99.99, size is about 5". Is this a good buy? Comes with a nice enclosure. 6x12x6". Unknown sex. I could not get a good look because of all the webbing and dirt on the glass.
I wouldn't trust a 5 inch poke being sold as unsexed, it could be a male.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
Not a big pokie fan. P. Metallica is overrated in my opinion. They are widely available and all pretty cheap over here but I didn't really get into them yet. P. regalis and P. subfusca are the ones that I like most.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
P. metallica easily my fav T an fav Poec
Just stunning!!!!!!