Favorite feeders for Scorpions, and combinations thereof.

FlintySanguine

Arachnopeon
I've got some I2-3 scorpion slings of various spp. I've only kept adult scorpions to this point. I feed gut-loaded crickets and super worms to them. I have looked locally for red-runners, dubia, or any other standard feeder insects. I'm hoping for some more experienced keepers to chime in with their thoughts and findings as to the nutritional value of particular feeder insects, and should they be alternated, avoided, or exclusive in some circumstances? In my amateur opinion, I would think a good variety would be best, for wider nutritional intake, as well as enrichment and stimulation. What works well in your experience?

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I had 23 surprise scorplings and I found one way to feed them meal worms.

Put them into a wide cage with only 1/4" of substrate. Supply plenty of hiding places so they can feel secure without a burrow.

Then simply add the mealworms. They will try to burrow but when the scorplings step on them, it's instant capture. The idea is that the scorplings can feel them move under foot.

They do need some substrate in order to get proper traction when moving. Here is how I did it. I had to throw it together pretty fast.

There were zero losses. I kept trouble and found a pet store capable of planning the others. I had to separate them because it was obvious that trouble was going to kill the rest off.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I use red runner roaches. For all sizes of scorps. But unless u have a large breeding colony. Getting the newborn roach nymphs is tough... you can use flightless fruit flys or little curly winged flys for slings. They work great and are very active prey...

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I use little Kenyan roaches for all my slings and they work pretty well. Not the most active roach in the world, but enough to get the job done. They're pretty soft too, so it's easy for the slings to manhandle them if need be lol. Basically just waiting for my red runners to get to adulthood and start breeding.

FlintySanguine

Arachnopeon
I haven't had luck with flightless fruit flies so far. They tend to just sit there in the sand like tiny rocks. How often should I feed slings? I'm assuming twice a week at least, depending on the size of the meal?

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
The problem with scorps is that they aren't as fast as tarantulas or crickets. Feeders that are slower and more filling are more to their liking.

Besides, the mother scorp hated crickets so it's not surprising that the scorplings did as well. I'm not sure if that is a H spinifer thing or just specific to that group of individuals.

Some scorps do eat crickets. I haven't tried roaches with those scorplings. The scorpling I kept, Trouble, does eat small roaches. He strongly prefers small earth worms however. I can also get him to eat mealworms.

FlintySanguine

Arachnopeon
I haven't had luck with flightless fruit flies so far. They tend to just sit there in the sand like tiny rocks. How often should I feed slings? I'm assuming twice a week at least, depending on the size of the meal
Twice a week is good for younger slings
Thank you. So about what point should I decrease to once a week? Just whenever they start refusing food?

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I use red runners for all my scorps and occasionally I'll give my bigger females a dubia roach but not very often as they are a pain to clean up compared to a red runner
once you can get a colony of reds going ..... you'll never need to buy feeders again. I made 2 tubs of them and only use from 1 for a 3 month period and then switch to the other for 3 months so they can build up again haven't bought a feeder in over 2 years and im loving it I spent $1000's a year buying crickets and now never again :) crickets are nasty , stinky and will eat a newly molted scorp if given the chance

FlintySanguine

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for your input. I hope I can find some red runners at a shop somewhere. I live in central Florida. Here's to a long and happy life for all our pets! CHEERS

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I haven't had luck with flightless fruit flies so far. They tend to just sit there in the sand like tiny rocks. How often should I feed slings? I'm assuming twice a week at least, depending on the size of the meal

Thank you. So about what point should I decrease to once a week? Just whenever they start refusing food?
Yeah they'll start refusing food more often. It depends on how quickly you want to get them to adulthood though. I feed mine about once a week once they hit 4i or 5i, but it depends on the species too.

FlintySanguine

Arachnopeon
Another question is how long should I wait until after they've moulted to feed again? I usually wait 7-10 days to let them garden up again, are slings any different?

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B. Lats, they engage an amazing feeding response! Slings harden faster then adult animals and you could feed them sooner, typically!

Cheers,

Rob