Favorite aspects of the hobby

tarantulateaparty

Arachnopeon
I’m curious as to the different perspectives of this community. Do you enjoy the husbandry most? Building enclosures? Or perhaps breeding your favorite species to share with the world is more your style. In keeping tarantulas, what are you most passionate about?

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
I'm gonna have to go with post molt reveals, and receiving new spiders. I quite enjoy setting up the enclosures as well, but the lack of terrarium equipment in the local petstores makes that a pain in the arse.

Grace Cannell

Arachnosquire
Feeding, watching them do their natural behaviours like grooming and rearrange their homes and watching them grow.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Seeing random stuff like this... IMG_20171004_145511464.jpg
Love me some rehousing, and seeing how different spiders adapt to their cage.

Swoop

Arachnosquire
The heart-pounding terror of rehousing an angry OW arboreal.

And the pretty colors.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Feeding and rehouses are always fun. Discovering newly molted spiders is nice as well, just seeing the transformation still fascinates me. My least favorite aspect is probably having to constantly refresh water bowls and scrub them clean.

At least I occasionally get to watch a hungry spider attack the stream of water, which is always very entertaining.

Especially watching how confused they get, some Ts will attack multiple times before finally pausing and coming to the realization that its not food. Then they non chalantly walk away or just stand there with their front legs by the brim of the water dish. Always cracks me up.

Showing of my collection to friends/family and sharing my knowledge is always a good time. Especially when they express interest and are left in awe of the beauty of these animals. Makes me feel good about what I do.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I’m curious as to the different perspectives of this community. Do you enjoy the husbandry most? Building enclosures? Or perhaps breeding your favorite species to share with the world is more your style. In keeping tarantulas, what are you most passionate about?
I would say feeding, general husbandry, receiving new Ts. I also love the fact that you never really stop learning in this hobby.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
When i'm watching a T doing some interior decorating and it doesn't notice me, then turns around and freezes with a mouth full of substrate like "awww crap the giant thing saw me move....."

Setting up new enclosures is always fun, specially the planning, rehouses are always fun too

Feeding/maintaining/watching them grow.

Lastly the variety, there's a T for every day of the year lol.

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
The heart-pounding terror of rehousing an angry OW arboreal.
Rather that than rehousing a tiny lightning fast skittish arboreal sling in a house with so many hidey holes you couldn't cover them all up. And yes, I did find it, after waiting until it went for a walk in the middle of the night.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
All aspects except for the occasional escape (two have tried during an unboxing and a rehouse) and deaths.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are many! But I'd have to say:
  • the ease of caring for tarantulas compared to many other exotic pets
  • variety
  • spiders are really f*%$ing interesting (simplistic, I know)
  • tarantula keepers are a community