Favorite acrylic enclosures?

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
I'm converting all my enclosures over to acrylic. I will likely eventually get acrylic cut and assemble myself but in the meantime I am going to purchase several for those Ts needing immediate rehousing...

So... What's your favorite and why? Herp cult? Tarantula cribs? Jamies? Others?

Thank you.

Note: these are for adult arboreal and terrestrial Ts

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
None are perfect for me.

Though I do like Jamie's design. You can take her arboreal design, and flip on its back and use as terrestrial. Maybe other's copied her, she's not the original acrylic T seller, but she is one of the earliest.

I own acrylic, glass and other things. I find none are perfect, glass is too heavy for moving around the country etc but CLEANS the best and sees the best through it. Acrylic is lightest, but is far expensive than it should be.

I'd much rather live in EU and buy glass setups for 5$ as they often do over there. Glass is cheap there, not here.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I have been using the hobby lobby basketball/soccer ball display cases for my arboreals. I really like em. The only picture I can find at the moment of what they look like.

Attachments

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
None are perfect for me.

Though I do like Jamie's design. You can take her arboreal design, and flip on its back and use as terrestrial. Maybe other's copied her, she's not the original acrylic T seller, but she is one of the earliest.

I own acrylic, glass and other things. I find none are perfect, glass is too heavy for moving around the country etc but CLEANS the best and sees the best through it. Acrylic is lightest, but is far expensive than it should be.

I'd much rather live in EU and buy glass setups for 5$ as they often do over there. Glass is cheap there, not here.
I live in serious earthquake country so glass just isn't an option moving forward... This the move to acrylic... Though i agree, WAY too expensive.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I live in serious earthquake country so glass just isn't an option moving forward... This the move to acrylic... Though i agree, WAY too expensive.
Yep I know California well. The only area I would do glass in is San Diego. I looked at a cool map of CA once showing the fault lines. The entire state looked like shatterred glass or a broken egg shell, it was impressive.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Yep I know California well. The only area I would do glass in is San Diego. I looked at a cool map of CA once showing the fault lines. The entire state looked like shatterred glass or a broken egg shell, it was impressive.
I live in San Diego and use lots of glass. I like acrylic but it has size limitations. I work with the stuff daily and over larger sizes it has some issues that are more common as size goes up. It's also tricky to glue cleanly, and good plex isn't cheap. It gets pricey because of the labor to do it nicely, gluing, flame polishing x every edge.
and note: there are 2 forms, Cast and Extruded, extruded is way superior but bears that pricing.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Everything West of the San Andreas is part of the Pacific Ocean and on a NxNW March. Everything east of the fault is part of America and moving pretty much due west. So the motion of the one plate is bound up by the motion of the other. (strike slip fault) It also has a kink in it just above LA where that pressure is the worst. The pressure is partially relieved through thrust faults which are what created the Tehachapi Range

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +

If it's not moisture-dependent, I'm a fan of this one.
Plus, if you ever find yourself without a spood to put in it (HA! like that would ever happen), you can take it apart for storage.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince

If it's not moisture-dependent, I'm a fan of this one.
Plus, if you ever find yourself without a spood to put in it (HA! like that would ever happen), you can take it apart for storage.
those are great boxes but somewhat limited on size, my bigger species are in 20 x 10s

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
those are great boxes but somewhat limited on size, my bigger species are in 20 x 10s
Fair! I didn’t think about adults. I have a smaller one in there right now and it works well

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
For small terrestrials, and dwarfs I love the container store acrylic deep heel shoe boxes, and even use it for some small arboreals like my MM Psalmopoeus irminia

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Here in the uk I get my acrylic vivs from an online company called swells reptile range from £18 to £50 depending on the size , I have only ever bought small ones 20x15x15 cm but they are my favourite so far I have t's and true spiders in them they can be used for both terrestrial and arboreal and if I spend over £60 (which I always do) I get free shipping
20211205_073511.jpg
Set up arboreal for my velvet spider.
20211205_073537.jpg
Terrestrial.
Tried a few different companies now n I like these best because out of all of them these haven't warped.

gabrielgartner

Arachnosquire
As mentioned Dorifto, I'd prefer glass, but living in an area where it's not a matter of if a big earthquake will strike, but when, acrylic is the only way to go. I've worked in academic museums and have personally witnessed what happens to glass specimen containers when they fall from shelving...it's not pretty and I don't want a bunch of 8 inch pokies scuttling around my house!

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I forget that part hahahahaha. This happens when you read the post and you answer several days after 😂😂😂😂

In that case, I'd build to my own ones. Get some custom cut extruded sheets online and customize them to suit you best.