Fat-tail or death stalker?

Blee1028

Arachnopeon
Hello, everyone! This is my first post here! I’ve known about this site for years, but for some unknown reason never got to the point where I made an account. My scorpion collection has grown, and with it, my curiosity! It’s an honor to be here!

I have a bit of an identity issue.
I ordered what I thought was a Deathstalker from BigAppleHerp. I’ve had the little guy since March 18th. I also own a juvenile Tunisian Fat Tail scorpion but I am no skeptical about that, as well.
I recently got a new phone and decided to take some photos of my “deathstalker” but as I was taking photos of what I thought was a death stalker, I found that he looks VERY similar to my juvenile Tunisian fat tail. I did my research on google and I believe that Big apple herp sold me a fat tail scorpion but labeled it as a deathstalker. Upon examining photos of REAL deathstalkers, I would say that this is not one. The tail looks far too thick, and the telson is fully black! Also, his pedipalps are a reddish color. The photos of deathstalkers I saw on google showed no fully black telson.. and the pedipalps looked all yellow.
Also, while I am on this subject, my juvenile Tunisian fat tail looks JUST like this.. except his pedipalps are BLACK!

as funny as it may sound, I consider you guys to be experts on scorpions! I’ve relied on your guys’ knowledge on scorpions for a while now! I’m glad I finally made an account.
Can anyone help me identify this scorpion??
Do I own 2 Tunisian fat tails? Or are these 2 fat tails, but different kinds?
Again, my juvenile Tunisian fat tail looks a lot like this, but with black pincers instead of red. I’ll add a picture of him, too.
Although I did my research on google, I would much rather get a straight answer from some of you guys! In my opinion, this definitely looks like it is a fat tail scorpion.. but I’m not sure which one. Thanks so much everyone in advance!🦂

Attachments

Conor10

Arachnoknight
That’s a African fat tailed scorpion variant, a death stalker would not have that black fading into the rest of the tail. P. liosoma If I were to guess.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Can't provide any input on ID, but you should try to get the scientific names down in addition to the common names - if someone's able to help you ID that is.

Blee1028

Arachnopeon
Can't provide any input on ID, but you should try to get the scientific names down in addition to the common names - if someone's able to help you ID that is.
you’re right! I am familiar with the Androctonus family.. but I am not familiar with every single scorpion within that family! I can only list 4 or 5 Androctonus scorpions, lol. I’ve been trying to google a whole list of every single scorpion within the Androctonus family but surprisingly that info seems tough to find, lol! I apologize! My juvenile was sold to me as an Androctonus Australis Hector.. and the other scorpion, which I thought was a death stalker, seems to be a fat tail as well... but I am not sure which one!

That’s a African fat tailed scorpion variant, a death stalker would not have that black fading into the rest of the tail. P. liosoma If I were to guess.
Wow! See, I knew I could trust you guys here! I’m fairly certain that you hit the nail on the head, my friend! I just google that specific species and found this photo. Looks damn near identical! The photo of the scorp in the sand is my scorp. The other is one I just pulled from google!

Attachments

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Hello, everyone! This is my first post here! I’ve known about this site for years, but for some unknown reason never got to the point where I made an account. My scorpion collection has grown, and with it, my curiosity! It’s an honor to be here!

I have a bit of an identity issue.
I ordered what I thought was a Deathstalker from BigAppleHerp. I’ve had the little guy since March 18th. I also own a juvenile Tunisian Fat Tail scorpion but I am no skeptical about that, as well.
I recently got a new phone and decided to take some photos of my “deathstalker” but as I was taking photos of what I thought was a death stalker, I found that he looks VERY similar to my juvenile Tunisian fat tail. I did my research on google and I believe that Big apple herp sold me a fat tail scorpion but labeled it as a deathstalker. Upon examining photos of REAL deathstalkers, I would say that this is not one. The tail looks far too thick, and the telson is fully black! Also, his pedipalps are a reddish color. The photos of deathstalkers I saw on google showed no fully black telson.. and the pedipalps looked all yellow.
Also, while I am on this subject, my juvenile Tunisian fat tail looks JUST like this.. except his pedipalps are BLACK!

as funny as it may sound, I consider you guys to be experts on scorpions! I’ve relied on your guys’ knowledge on scorpions for a while now! I’m glad I finally made an account.
Can anyone help me identify this scorpion??
Do I own 2 Tunisian fat tails? Or are these 2 fat tails, but different kinds?
Again, my juvenile Tunisian fat tail looks a lot like this, but with black pincers instead of red. I’ll add a picture of him, too.
Although I did my research on google, I would much rather get a straight answer from some of you guys! In my opinion, this definitely looks like it is a fat tail scorpion.. but I’m not sure which one. Thanks so much everyone in advance!🦂
Definitely not L. quinquestriatus...

Blee1028

Arachnopeon
Hmm. Thank you so much for the feedback. Hopefully I can find a reputable and reliable website that sells hot scorpions and KNOW what scorpions they are selling to their customers lol..

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
There are some great reliable breeders and sellers on this forum... maybe reach out in the classifieds :)

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
Definitely not L. quinquestriatus...
Indeed, no way this is a Deathstalker (Leiurus quinquestriatus).
My guess is that you have a Androctonus australis.
If your other scorpion looks the same but with black pedipalps then that would be a Androctonus australis hector.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
If your other scorpion looks the same but with black pedipalps then that would be a Androctonus australis hector.
My hector had the same black pedipalps too but it's gotten lighter as it molted...

Blee1028

Arachnopeon
Wow! Thank you so much for the info, my friend. May I ask what the difference between an Androctonus Australis and Androctonus Australis Hector is? They do look very similar... just different coloring

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
May I ask what the difference between an Androctonus Australis and Androctonus Australis Hector is?
It seems that is still up for debate, as of now the hector is classed as a sub-species.
There are well informed entomologists that say that the hector should be classed as it's own species because the hector venom seems to differ a lot compared to the normal A australis venom.
Further studies in the future should clear that up.
I don't know about any behavior differences, I only have the 'normal' A australis.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
I agree with Lubed Tweezer, they are both Androctonus Australis and the one with the dark hands will be an A Australis Hector. They are a beautiful species but very dangerous venom! LQ is not as hefty as A. Australis and the tail is way thinner and twiggier. LQ can be a lot more temperamental, it will instantly go into a threat posture the moment it sees/senses you.

ChiefinOnSomeSkunk

Arachnopeon
Both are A. Australis. The one with dark pedipalps is a hector. The other is indeed a tunisian, I currently have both of these as well and my tunisian is the same size as yours and looks exactly the same. My hector's pedipalps however are very dark, same goes with the tail. Very nice scorpions and I wish you the best of luck on raising them!

IMG-3133.jpg <-- My Hector when I first received her

IMG-3379.jpg <-- My Tunisian I got off of the classifieds

Blee1028

Arachnopeon
Both are A. Australis. The one with dark pedipalps is a hector. The other is indeed a tunisian, I currently have both of these as well and my tunisian is the same size as yours and looks exactly the same. My hector's pedipalps however are very dark, same goes with the tail. Very nice scorpions and I wish you the best of luck on raising them!

View attachment 381679 <-- My Hector when I first received her

View attachment 381680 <-- My Tunisian I got off of the classifieds

View attachment 381679 <-- My Hector when I first received her

View attachment 381680 <-- My Tunisian I got off of the classifieds
Wow! Then it is settled! Looks like you fellas are right! 1 Androctonus Australis and one Androctonus Australis Hector! Wow, thanks guys.
It would be so nice to make a purchase from the classifieds here on this website. I’ll definitely look around.. I am so tired of dealing with other online sites for scorpions because I have found that some of those sites don’t know much about what they are trying to sell.. lol. Are there any hot and potentially lethal scorpions you guys recommend I try to responsibly add to the collection? I am very aware how lethal these things are.. but man, I LOVE being in this hobby! My only go to lethal scorpions are the fat tails and the LQ, lol! I know there’s gotta be more out there that I can try to add to the collection! I would love to own a Hottentotta Tamulus.. but haven’t had any luck on finding one. Any recommendations? I also aim on adding the Androctonus Crassicauda to the collection and naming him Alladin! Seems neat, lol. Thanks guys! You guys truly are awesome

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
You could try parabuthus villosus or any other parabuthus species like p. transvaalicus (South African spitting scorpion). They have fat tails like A. Australis and are highly venomous. Probably the best place to get them would be the classifieds on here. Good luck :D

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Just to clarify, the A. australis "hector" comes from different locales / regions, one being Tunisia, so they would call it A. australis "hector" Tunisia

ChiefinOnSomeSkunk

Arachnopeon
Wow! Then it is settled! Looks like you fellas are right! 1 Androctonus Australis and one Androctonus Australis Hector! Wow, thanks guys.
It would be so nice to make a purchase from the classifieds here on this website. I’ll definitely look around.. I am so tired of dealing with other online sites for scorpions because I have found that some of those sites don’t know much about what they are trying to sell.. lol. Are there any hot and potentially lethal scorpions you guys recommend I try to responsibly add to the collection? I am very aware how lethal these things are.. but man, I LOVE being in this hobby! My only go to lethal scorpions are the fat tails and the LQ, lol! I know there’s gotta be more out there that I can try to add to the collection! I would love to own a Hottentotta Tamulus.. but haven’t had any luck on finding one. Any recommendations? I also aim on adding the Androctonus Crassicauda to the collection and naming him Alladin! Seems neat, lol. Thanks guys! You guys truly are awesome
If you're thinking about owning more HOT scorpions I'd definitely recommend the Parabuthus species or Hottentotta. Definitely check them out (Parabuthus) and the different species and the different "dark" and "bright" morphs that are available. I feel you on the go to's being fat tails and death stalkers. I have around 9 fat tails currently and plan on adding another 10 after this weekends reptile expo especially since I won't have to pay for overnight shipping. I am really in the market for crassicauda, gonetti, sergenti, baluchicus, mauretanicus, and all the other hard to find ones.