Fat P. met sling!

5dice

Arachnopeon
So happy that my Poecilotheria metallica is a vicious monster of an eater! At only 1 1/4" it is a voracious eater. I think I may need to put it on a diet though. Looking fat! Hopefully that means growth soon! Just sharing my joy!
PoekiSling.jpg

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd feed when hungry. That's how I do mine. They'll stop eating when they need to.

5dice

Arachnopeon
I've heard "you can't force a T to eat", but also that "they don't have brains". And I've seen some pics of REALLY fat T's. Are they "smart" enough not to over-eat? (My dog isn't!) I've only been doing every 3-4 days as it is. It never has refused to eat.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
I've heard "you can't force a T to eat", but also that "they don't have brains". And I've seen some pics of REALLY fat T's. Are they "smart" enough not to over-eat? (My dog isn't!) I've only been doing every 3-4 days as it is. It never has refused to eat.
They'll never eat themselves to death as they don't eat because of boredom or greed or simply because of the taste like some vertebrates, theyll stop when an individual feels like it's met it's nutritional requirements, they do have a collection on ganglia that carry out theyre bodily functions.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Looks good to me! This is what mine looked like right before molting. Just keep feeding til the little piggy won't eat anymore!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The reason why it is better that they are slimmer as adults is because they can get rub injuries on their abdomens if they are too chubby. Combine that with moulting less and you could end up with abscess type issues.
Spiderlings and young juveniles need all the food that they can get to moult out of that vulnerable stage. In addition, even if they do rub a bit, they moult more frequently so those rubbed areas don't have time to become a serious issue.
Food is often scarce in the wild, so they will eat when they can. Spiderlings should never be denied food because they really do need it to grow as quickly as possible. A stricter feeding regime is only required when they are older.
Spiderlings will refuse food when they have had enough.

5dice

Arachnopeon
Well, ate like a piggy again tonight. I'll buy more roaches on Sunday. I guess it wants to grow!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The reason why it is better that they are slimmer as adults is because they can get rub injuries on their abdomens if they are too chubby. Combine that with moulting less and you could end up with abscess type issues.
Spiderlings and young juveniles need all the food that they can get to moult out of that vulnerable stage. In addition, even if they do rub a bit, they moult more frequently so those rubbed areas don't have time to become a serious issue.
what? where did you hear this? never heard of this before.. i thought the reason was because they are more susceptible to injuries from falling when heavier.

Last edited:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
what? where did you hear this? never heard of this before.. i thought the reason was because they are more susceptible to injuries from falling when heavier.
It's both, except falling only really endangers terrestrial T's. Tarantulas crave tight, dark places, so when trying to squeeze themselves deeper into their hides they could get suck/abrase/rupture themselves if they are too thick

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Saw this info on NL-forum as well. I always thought this advice was for juvi and adult T's, but apparently, it can go for slings as well.

It confuses me a little, since i thought slings couldn't be too heavy, for when they have enough food and get fat, it would go to the molting process.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Well, I guess you haven't done your research.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
I feed my slings as much as they will eat and offer often. They do seem to be piglets at that stage but my juvinile/adults all look as 'we think' they should. They self regulate and with a well set up environment for them shouldn't be any worry, looks like a chubby premolt baby to me :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Well, I guess you haven't done your research.
lol i'll believe it when i see it. research? i dont believe things off this forum. in my year here, ive never seen an experienced member even mention this. @Andrea82 whats this NL- forum you mentioned?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
lol i'll believe it when i see it. research? i dont believe things off this forum. in my year here, ive never seen an experienced member even mention this. @Andrea82 whats this NL- forum you mentioned?
Woops, sorry, NL forum is Dutch forum. Like Americans refer to themselves as 'US', instead of United States, Dutch people refer to
themselves as NL, 'Nederland'.
Dutch keepers and breeders post here, and sometimes Germans or British as well.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
It confuses me a little, since i thought slings couldn't be too heavy, for when they have enough food and get fat, it would go to the molting proces
You misunderstood, you essentially can't overfeed a sling since they are essentially always in pre-molt, and since they have so little actual mass a fall is very unlikely to hurt them.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You misunderstood, you essentially can't overfeed a sling since they are essentially always in pre-molt, and since they have so little actual mass a fall is very unlikely to hurt them.
That's what i thought as well, but who am i to judge, being in the hobby for just two years..
Although i must say that with how my GBB slings are looking now, i really really don't want them to fall!
Both of them have an abdomen double the size of their carapace :eek: good thing they stopped feeding :D