Fat Butts or Not

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've had my B. auratum and B. boehmei for over a year now, and they're working on 3" + of leg span. I feed them weekly or bi-weekly on one or two adult Blatta lateralis and they're kept in the temp range of 70-75* F.

But neither have fat butts. They're not skinny by any means, but they're not the nice rounded posteriors I see on most everyone else's Brachy's. Am I doing something wrong? Do they stay thinner till they mature perhaps?

I'm not a power feeder, nor do I wish to be one, so please don't tell me to feed them lots and lots of food. It's really not that big of a deal, I was just wondering if I was missing something.

Here's a pic I took last week of my B. boehmei, Nusku, showing the typical abdomen size.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know the answer to your question,sorry.
i am just stopping in to say nice T! and great pic:)

Cannibalon

Arachnopeon
Very nice looking T! I have had a genic for a little over a year now and I have noticed that the abdomen only got fat when I was feeding a little to often perhaps. In subsequent molts I have slowed down the feeding and his abdomen has stayed in the same porportion as yours. I think it's looks great.

mwh9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If I am wrong, feel free to correct me but, a lot of the males in many species tend to have smaller abdomens, but then again many of the arboreals do also. This is a terrestrial species so that does not apply to the aboreal thing. Either way, I don't think that it appears to be under fed. I have a Brachypelma vagans and it does have a slightly larger abdomen but, it is a female and may be a little older. I wouldn't worry, great pic.

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not a power feeder, nor do I wish to be one, so please don't tell me to feed them lots and lots of food. It's really not that big of a deal, I was just wondering if I was missing something.
well, then why post this post? you already know the answer. feed more for it to gain weight, keep at your current level and that's what you get - which is totally fine.

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is a perfect size abdomen!

We overfeed our T's and scorps too much...

Chris

christin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no, your not doing anything wrong. That's a fantastic looking spider. like you originally thought, if you power feed, you'll have fat butt spiders. All of mine (except the pokie) are fat. recently I decided to feed less so I'm sure that will change. I read a really good article about power feeding, and why it's probibly not the best for your T, but I'm not sure where the link went.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is a perfect size abdomen!

We overfeed our T's and scorps too much...

Chris

Hes right. Thats a healthy abdomen size. Most of the ones pictured with huge abdomens are overweight. It can complicate molts, and lead to a greater chance of injury during a fall. Your Ts on the other hand look really healthy. Sounds like you are doing the right thing.

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hes right. Thats a healthy abdomen size. Most of the ones pictured with huge abdomens are overweight. It can complicate molts, and lead to a greater chance of injury during a fall. Your Ts on the other hand look really healthy. Sounds like you are doing the right thing.
most people feed up the females for breeding purposes i think...as far as slings of some species, it gets them past that vulnerable stage quicker. personally, those are the times i feed more than the usual amount.

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that is a beautiful T. By the looks of it you are doing fine. I have heard some speculation that the rounded abdomens are females and the elongated or tear drop shaped one are male but I have not found that very accurate in my T’s.

What I look for is more the over all size of the abdomen rather than the shape. If that “butt” was pea size and slightly shriveled then I would suggest you feed it a little more.

Keep doing what your doing, and you’ll have a nice healthy T.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
most people feed up the females for breeding purposes i think...as far as slings of some species, it gets them past that vulnerable stage quicker. personally, those are the times i feed more than the usual amount.
Feeding up for breeding, and keeping your tarantula consistently overweight are very different things. Same with feeding very small spiderlings often, to keep their size up. Her tarantula is very well started, and there is no need to feed it to the point of obesity.

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Feeding up for breeding, and keeping your tarantula consistently overweight are very different things. Same with feeding very small spiderlings often, to keep their size up. Her tarantula is very well started, and there is no need to feed it to the point of obesity.
that's what i'm trying to say. well, you commented previously on how a lot of the spiders in the pictures with rounded abdomens were overweight, i just wanted to point out that some of those are either gravid or fed heavily for breeding purposes...but anyways.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree with these cats; you're doing it right. Some of us just overfeed because we like watching them eat. Fun, but ill advised (i'm guilty)

The t in your pic is absolutely gorgeous. Congrats!

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... But neither have fat butts. ... Am I doing something wrong? ...
I've always had a battle with my weight, so I can't speak from personal experience. But, I always admired a high school buddy of mine. Nice small butt. Wide shoulders. V shape. (And, NO, I'm not gay!)

I just saw him a couple of years ago. He's about 62 now and looks like your classic bowling pin! Does this give you any clue? :D

Don't worry. Be happy. Enjoy your tarantulas!

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Taceas,
Hmmm..... are you missing something, No I do not think so it seems you are quite aware that the majority of the spiders seen in photo's are overweight!

Wade;)

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, my smithi is almost exactly the same proportions as yours and it seems to be doing great. Don't doubt yourself =P

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks for the reassurances, guys. I was sure what I was doing was as correct as I could be, considering I've never had a problem with either of them in any respect (knocks feverishly on wood).

For Harrypei, I think you grossly misunderstand the purposes of my post. I know over-feeding will result in a large bottomed spider, I was mainly curious if anything else had any impact in that besides feeding more and if I could have any influence on that.

Considering I've only had tarantulas for little over a year and 99% of my specimens are sub-adults, I don't know instinctively if they should look one way or another. I can only compare to pictures I see online or in books. Most pics of Brachys in the age range that mine are, are of large-bottomed specimens. Of which I'm sure a good portion are routinely overfed, but I thought surely they all can't be that way.

I know I feed them adequately enough to maintain their general health and activity level, and I know feeding them more will result in a larger abdomen, I was mainly doubting myself in that maybe I'm really not feeding them enough.

As for abdomen shape denoting gender, I've no clue. I'm not all that great at sexing, but the last time I looked I thought I saw a flap and if I remember correctly when I posted the pic for help, most thought it was female. I haven't had a chance to sex subsequent molts as the last one the entire abdominal area was mangled beyond recognition.

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmm... I've been wondering about this for a little while now. My Boehimi has always ended up fat very quick.

My smallest spider currently is about .75 and my largest 2-2.5"

I feed all of them 3 approprately sized crickets a week.. This BB is on par in size with my rosehairs so they all get the same size crix. (sizes of spiders is 1", 1.75 or 2 depending on how spread the legs are ... adn the bb is about 1.5") I acctually feed the larger rosehair slightly larger crix. I get "small" size crix which tend to still have quite a bit of variance. about .25 to .5"

Anyway the rosehairs will sllllllowwwly get fat - then darken and molt. Genearly they only get fat a few weeks before they molt.

This BB though... it'll molt and then the next week after feeding it's fat. (propotiantly) but I'm not feeding any different. This week I acctualy fed only 2 crix... and one was on the small size - because of this. In fact I'm thinking of skipping a week or two entirly.

Do spiders... like humans ... have different matablisims? Is it possible to feed two spiders of the same size, in the same environment about the same stuff and have one baloon up?? Or is it speices related? Maybe when it gets about the size of the OPs spider it will be more in proportion?

Seriously... should I feed it less then my other spiders?

Thanks.

- Sharon

PS and yes that is a very pretty T. :)