Fastest old worlds..

Scp682

Arachnoknight
Ah, Omothymus violaceopes.. My old nemesis. Had 3 large females die for no reason so far. I will never buy more. Random deaths for no obvious reason is by far the worst thing in the hobby. View attachment 383711

Regarding tarantula speed.. Theres no actual data on it. Everyone says something different based on personal experience. It's a worthless subject to discuss. A skittish tarantula regardless of species will always seem to move like lightning. I think it's silly there remains so much discussion on it.
Interesting, how did you have them set up? Probably a moisture issue, or something caused by it (too dry or a pathogen caused by being too wet

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Interesting, how did you have them set up? Probably a moisture issue, or something caused by it (too dry or a pathogen caused by being too wet
1620077350703378713435767648240.jpg
This is a staple set up for my arboreals. Pictured is an AF Phormingochilus sp Rufus.

16200777295426145038853976986356.jpg
Adult Asian arboreal set ups.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Old world, New world, arboreals, terrestrials and fossorials.

Every single one can be rapid. And everything single one are more than capable of catching you out.

Really not sure where the whole "Old world's teleport" comes from.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
View attachment 383714
This is a staple set up for my arboreals. Pictured is an AF Phormingochilus sp Rufus.

View attachment 383716
have you found your sp rufus to be oddly slow as well? so far mine has been pretty slow and methodical when eating and rehousing.

I'd say my T.violaceus is the fastest arachnid i've seen so far, but I'll be getting a Viridasius sp.in the next few weeks so i expect that sentiment to change soon.

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
Hahaha I love hearing these experiences, I do have to admit even with actual spiders, my Linothele megatheloides moved like lightning the other day during feeding :p

Scp682

Arachnoknight
View attachment 383714

View attachment 383716
Substrate issue maybe? What did you use? That is strange. 3 dying cant be a coincidence there's just something we haven't discovered yet or missed.

have you found your sp rufus to be oddly slow as well? so far mine has been pretty slow and methodical when eating and rehousing.

I'd say my T.violaceus is the fastest arachnid i've seen so far, but I'll be getting a Viridasius sp.in the next few weeks so i expect that sentiment to change soon.
Mine seems calmer and less likely to bolt compared to other similar species.

Hahaha I love hearing these experiences, I do have to admit even with actual spiders, my Linothele megatheloides moved like lightning the other day during feeding :p
Linothele are mygalomorphs so closely related to tarantulas. And indeed they're definitely faster.

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
Linothele are mygalomorphs so closely related to tarantulas. And indeed they're definitely faster.
interesting I had no idea. Those spinnerets are what made me desire them xD mines web enclosure becomes more and more weekly it seems :p I wish she would do more honestly though 😂😂

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
All tarantulas are capable of being extremely fast when spooked. The difference is really in how easily they’re spooked. If you put two tarantulas next to each other in a race and made them both go as fast as they could, I don’t think you’d notice much of a difference in who reached the finish line first. Some are just more likely to display that speed because they’re more skittish. And I’m not sure who told you O. philippinus stays out often. They’re beautiful spiders and I’m very happy to have one, but they are pet holes. If by out in the open they meant you can see them through the side of the enclosure in their burrow, I think that would be accurate 🤣

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
All tarantulas are capable of being extremely fast when spooked. The difference is really in how easily they’re spooked. If you put two tarantulas next to each other in a race and made them both go as fast as they could, I don’t think you’d notice much of a difference in who reached the finish line first. Some are just more likely to display that speed because they’re more skittish. And I’m not sure who told you O. philippinus stays out often. They’re beautiful spiders and I’m very happy to have one, but they are pet holes. If by out in the open they meant you can see them through the side of the enclosure in their burrow, I think that would be accurate 🤣
Hahah you have a good point, and I think I heard it on a YouTube video or YouTube comments, claiming when adults they are pretty ballsy when out in the open, like my H. pulchripes is brave now, as well as Pampho. nigricolor who doesn’t even use a hide and doesn’t even kick hairs when I do maintenance xD

Scp682

Arachnoknight
interesting I had no idea. Those spinnerets are what made me desire them xD mines web enclosure becomes more and more weekly it seems :p I wish she would do more honestly though 😂😂
You should be informed then that they pack a really nasty bite, as in potentially life threatening. You know they're fast, be careful, don't get bit.

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
You should be informed then that they pack a really nasty bite, as in potentially life threatening. You know they're fast, be careful, don't get bit.
I wasn’t able to really find anything on the megatheloides when I tried to research it before buying I only knew it had gorgeous webbing and shimmering colors on its body, the most dangerous spider I researched I want but don’t have is a sand spider, and I know those are related to a brown recluse, what’s the venom of the Linothele comparable to?

Scp682

Arachnoknight
I wasn’t able to really find anything on the megatheloides when I tried to research it before buying I only knew it had gorgeous webbing and shimmering colors on its body, the most dangerous spider I researched I want but don’t have is a sand spider, and I know those are related to a brown recluse, what’s the venom of the Linothele comparable to?
Probably similar to funnelwebs, not as bad as some like A robustus but definitely not something you want to find out. There hasn't been much research so i can't give a definite answer but it's worse than any tarantula, nothing as bad as anything like a ctenid/wondering spider or sicarid/sand spider.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Yea, people talk about tarantulas being fast meanwhile true spiders around your house would beat them any day.
Agreed I grew up catching and playing with Agelenopsis species on my property and they make any T besides my Heterothele gabonensis look like beetles. Lol oddly they both look and act similarly too.

I actually find if you are prepared most if not all T's can be predictable in their movements no matter how fast. I get surprised like anyone else, but I also take no chances when it comes to rehouses and what not.

If anything it's my NW slings not any of my OW's that catch me off guard simply cause I underestimate them.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Substrate issue maybe? What did you use? That is strange. 3 dying cant be a coincidence there's just something we haven't discovered yet or missed.

Mine seems calmer and less likely to bolt compared to other similar species.

Same as the other hundred spiders. Peat moss I store in a big plastic tub.

For sure. Some people don't have any issues. Perhaps it's the basement I keep them in. Airflow is kinda limited. That said, I raise Avicularia right next to them with no problems.

Scp682

Arachnoknight
Same as the other hundred spiders. Peat moss I store in a big plastic tub.

For sure. Some people don't have any issues. Perhaps it's the basement I keep them in. Airflow is kinda limited. That said, I raise Avicularia right next to them with no problems.
Very strange. I have heard they're less cold tolerant so it could be that. Oh well

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I’d always heard Heterscodra maculata was supposed to be one of the fastest T’s. They are certainly one of the most easily spooked and photophobic.

If anything it's my NW slings not any of my OW's that catch me off guard simply cause I underestimate them.
Yes, exactly! My first and thankfully one of few experiences with tarantula “teleportation” was an Ephebopus murinus sling! I think all T’s of that leggier build, mostly associated with arboreals but also some fossorials, can move fast when they decide too.

Some of my T’s, particularly Aphonopelma chalcodes and Homoeomma orellanai, I can’t imagine ever zipping but I’d rather they not have reason to either. :)