Fastest old worlds..

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
So I have a tik tok (No I don’t know watch videos on it) so I often video feedings and things my T’s do for that.

I recently added a Singapore blue to my collection, it along with a O philipp. are my two smallest T’s. I’ve never seen spiders teleport like these two have, originally I bought the O.P. Because I heard it stays out so often and the velvet appearance sounded cool. The Singapore blue sounded exciting as it sounded similar to a cobalt blue but arboreal. Most of my T’s are old world slings, anyone with experience on these two have any cool or bad personal experiences with them? Even my pokies and balfouri seem slow to these two

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
The question you are asking brought up pretty often with some similarities:
  • Fastest tarantula
  • Fastest OW
  • Fastest NW
  • Teleporting tarantula
You will find many by type and search ‘fastest’.

65EC1C87-77F8-4E5E-8C70-1F5E9BFE21C8.jpeg

5DF6799D-B5DA-4A92-9ACC-4F657FAC7CC7.jpeg

Though what’s more important is, fully expect any of your tarantulas (NW and OW) can bolt / teleport anytime if they want to / are willing to, as they are very capable.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Most of my T’s are old world slings
Maybe you'll find even faster ones among those once they have grown a little. Maybe you'll be in for a surprise.

Also, what is an O.P.? Scientific names and not abbreviations and common names, please! :)

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
Maybe you'll find even faster ones among those once they have grown a little. Maybe you'll be in for a surprise.

Also, what is an O.P.? Scientific names and not abbreviations and common names, please! :)
Indeed the Philippine tangerine 🍊 I’ve just never seen such speed from my obt h pulchripes any of my poecilotheria, do any of you have them what’re they like?? Singapore blue too? The violacepes

vurzachee

Arachnopeon
Haha interesting are the Singapore’s put often? I’ve heard only semi arboreal do they dig too?
Both my girls are both reclusive. I set their enclosures up differently to see if one would come out more than the other but nope, they come out maybe once a month. They are around 5.5 inches. I recently rehoused a 6 inch rufilata female and she is much faster than the singapores.

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
Both my girls are both reclusive. I set their enclosures up differently to see if one would come out more than the other but nope, they come out maybe once a month. They are around 5.5 inches. I recently rehoused a 6 inch rufilata female and she is much faster than the singapores.
Interesting. Thanks :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Indeed the Philippine tangerine 🍊 I’ve just never seen such speed from my obt h pulchripes any of my poecilotheria, do any of you have them what’re they like?? Singapore blue too? The violacepes
I’ve owned this. Truly one of the fastest OW. I’ve seen Cobalt blues with serious speed, same for P mets.

H gabonensis also extremely fast, like Philippine, but more predictable IME

And NW Tapis equally as fast if not faster

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
I’ve owned this. Truly one of the fastest OW. I’ve seen Cobalt blues with serious speed, same for P mets.

H gabonensis also extremely fast, like Philippine, but more predictable IME

And NW Tapis equally as fast if not faster
new worlds being just as fast eh? That’s crazy I’ve seen some quick bolts from my xenesthis and Pamphobeteus but I don’t own too many nw outside that

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
new worlds being just as fast eh? That’s crazy I’ve seen some quick bolts from my xenesthis and Pamphobeteus but I don’t own too many nw outside that
Tapinauchenius/Pseudoclamoris are widely regarded as the fastest genera in the hobby, Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus aren't far behind in terms of speed, and Ischnocolinae sp. "Dominican Republic" will dust the vast majority of terrestrial/fossorial OWs.

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
Tapinauchenius/Pseudoclamoris are widely regarded as the fastest genera in the hobby, Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus aren't far behind in terms of speed, and Ischnocolinae sp. "Dominican Republic" will dust the vast majority of terrestrial/fossorial OWs.
Oh wow I have myself a panama blonde sling too xD

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
My metallica is the fastest T i have seen, but it still cant even hold a candle to heteropoda speed... I know you asked fastest tarantula, but i just wanted to say that IMO, huntsmen are on a whole other level

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
My collection is primarily asian arboreals (although I don't have O. violaceopes) and my 7" rufilata is hands down the fastest T I own. I'm really not looking forward to her next rehouse. Good thing it'll be the last one.

Scp682

Arachnoknight
O violaceopes are very fast i wouldn't say necessarily faster than others but definitely very shy and more likely to bolt, it doesn't take much for them to start and they'll run laps (example: being startled by a prey item). H maculata, T violaceus (a NW btw) are definitely faster ime but less likely to bolt. Any ornithoctoninae will be very shy and very fast so be careful and do your research.

Haha interesting are the Singapore’s put often? I’ve heard only semi arboreal do they dig too?
Yes, they dig a lot. An arboreal enclosure with a cork tube mostly filled with substrate/sphagnum moss for them to make their tube shaped web "sock" works best for adults. For slings set them up with digging and climbing space and a decent hide to make their sock in. Moist sub and remember they are shy and like to hide.

Last edited:

Scp682

Arachnoknight
My metallica is the fastest T i have seen, but it still cant even hold a candle to heteropoda speed... I know you asked fastest tarantula, but i just wanted to say that IMO, huntsmen are on a whole other level
Yea, people talk about tarantulas being fast meanwhile true spiders around your house would beat them any day.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ah, Omothymus violaceopes.. My old nemesis. Had 3 large females die for no reason so far. I will never buy more. Random deaths for no obvious reason is by far the worst thing in the hobby. 20210503_131631.jpg

Regarding tarantula speed.. Theres no actual data on it. Everyone says something different based on personal experience. It's a worthless subject to discuss. A skittish tarantula regardless of species will always seem to move like lightning. I think it's silly there remains so much discussion on it.